SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Testing GW Uploader

User
11 years ago

Trudy pointed out that you can upload directly to GW from your computer using "the browser." Hmmm, haven't noticed any info on it appearing, but then I'm not always observant.

Anyway, today I took the "school yearbook" pictures of every one of my hosta. Or was it yesterday. Well, today I put names to all of them, and tags etc. Only missed one, went back out and searched until I found it beneath a banana shrub. Poor little lost baby.

Testing.....

What I notice immediately is that it is NOT a potato chip.

You can only upload ONE this way. Has anyone figured out how to upload more directly from the computer to GWeb?

And where does it appear in the text of my post?

Can I identify it?

Fried Bananas, becoming ONE of my favorite golds.

Nope, won't allow it. File is larger than 250kb.

So all my pictures are too big for this method. I thought they reduced the file size but they don't.

Let me give it to you with Flickr.com

Comments (42)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

I thought they reduced the file size but they don't.

==>> photobucket is who reduces my file sizes w/o me having to do it.. on upload ...

ken

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

There was an announcement about the GW photo option in test mode - earlier yesterday. GW must have deleted posting.

For a single pic it will be an easy to use feature for new posters especially. Though pic can be a little small for noid and virus id'ing.

test pic 204k at upload

Paul

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Paul,

Double clicking on the picture pops it up nicely.

Jon

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Wish that when you clicked on pic, it would enlarge in place instead of opening another tab. Try another of same pic at smaller size - 112k and 800 x 535pixels. 1st one was 204k and 1200x803.

Paul

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Double clicking works just as well. Good detail in the enlarged photo.

Jon

• kskaren
    11 years ago

This is the same as the HGTV boards--most people just reply to their own post if they want to post multiple pictures. And their limit is 150k, so you have to edit every single picture before you post it.

Even though uploading to photobucket first is a little time consuming, I'd rather do that if I have more than one photo to show, so I'll probably stick with that option.

Karen

• irawon
    11 years ago

Has anyone been able to post pictures directly from one's desktop using Mac Safari browser. I haven't been able to figure the other methoud out. Too complicated for me. DAH!1

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have not been able to upload a single picture using the GW uploader, because I get my post all typed, find I need a picture, and none of mine are smaller sizes on the computer. I do not wish to downsize my personal files, so I will continue to use Flickr as an intermediary for public files.
    I also do not have any geolinks embedded in photos, even personal files, but just in case, I have Flickr strip that info out.

The GWeb uploader will be a big help to the folks who do not wish to set up a photo account with yet another service and I well understand that. I tried Photobucket and gave up on it, but keep the account so I can easily view the albums of other hostaholics with great hosta pictures.

If Webshots allowed the html code required for viewing the images here, and not a link to the image, that is what I'd use. My old pre-hosta garden pictures are there, and all the albums of gardens in Italy and Ireland as well.

Well, the heat is building today, so best be getting a move on.

Here is a link that might be useful: CaptGrisGris Webshots Albums

• kskaren
    11 years ago

Not trying to talk you into anything, moccasin, but what I do is put a copy of my picture I want to downsize in an "Edited File". Then I shrink them from there, never having to mess with my original picture. It is a lot of work though, just to post one picture, as I don't have a tried and true formula of how to get it shrunk down to just the right size. So, it's several tries at reducing little by little....annoying!

Karen

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Much nicer to upload a photo right onto Garden Web rather than upload into Photo Bucket or etc and then onto Garden Web.
    Here is a photo of one of our seedlings from 'Sugar Daddy' streak x OP named 'Lisa Ann'

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

I'll take one of those trudy, love the blues with yellow.

Paul

• mary52zn8tx
    11 years ago

Trudy, loved the picture of Lisa Ann. Thanks for uploading!

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I did not read yet how to post a picture here in above posts.
    For example, I have Windows Vista operating system in a Dell PC, and in a folder I have a thumbnail picture in front of the file name for this picture. I tried to drag it from there into Message Text on "Post a Follow-Up", and got nothing.
    I also copied the picture and tried to paste it into the message text, again nothing, except some darn ad popped up.

Please tell me what I am missing and do wrong. How should I do it? I use Firefox browser.
    Bernd

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Okay, I'll give it a test drive. If it works, this is a photo of the enormous Blue Angel Hallson's sent me.

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

And here's Rainbow Sorbet (obviously not a hosta).

Deanna

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Whoops! Attached the wrong picture! That's Cherry Parfait. Here's Rainbow Sorbet...

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Piecrust Promise

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Nice rose photos gardenfanatic!
    Paul what hosta is in your photo?
    Thanks for the comments on my hosta seedling, but no can do any sharing at this time.....not that many eyes. It's one of the favorite seedlings in our gardens.
    Those of you using MACS are you using IPhoto, click on the photo you want to post, go up to file and export photo, I believe its the medium size which works. We use Firefox for our browser.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bernd, quote:
    Please tell me what I am missing and do wrong. How should I do it? I use Firefox browser.
    Bernd

I too use Firefox. When I click on Preview Message, it gives a spot beneath the message preview where you see a blank box followed by "Browse".......

Click "Browse" which takes you to your computer Windows Explorer and you find the file you wish to upload. Click on it and it uploads it to add at the end of your post.

Then you click SUBMIT.

Do NOT try to look at the photo you are uploading, because it will erase that step and you'll have to start over.

You are not given a chance to resize the photo after you add it to your post, you MUST click SUBMIT.

Well, I've done that about three times in other threads, and it is like running into a brick wall for me. I have some super big photo files, and never had a problem with them being too big before, so if I use this system it will require more files on my computer which I'll probably forget where I put them. I have about 20 G of photos on my T1 external harddrive, and thank heaven Windows 7 lets me do a tag or title search, and I can find an indexed photo very quickly. Instead of adding tags at Flickr or Photobucket, I add them in one of two places: Corel Paint Shop Pro X4 (14) or Windows Live Photo Gallery. Adding them to Flickr or Photobucket is a dead end, because the time spent adding them there serves no other purpose--not saved to a metafile with the photo, and it is always handy to have the hosta name embedded in its data file. So if your computer does that, I recommend fixing every one of your hosta pics with the information before uploading anywhere else.

Just watch out if you have a GPS feature on your camera or cell phone, that you do not inadvertently give the lat/lon and address of your residence or other info which you might not wish to reveal. The Dark Side may come shovel in hand to relieve you of that gorgeous hosta some dark and stormy night. :)

That said, I'll try to do a small picture when I preview the message. Don't expect much.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Trudy, that is Ventricosa Aureomaculata - center gets green later.

Paul

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Thanks Trudy! Love your seedling! :-)

Deanna

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Here's a pic at 250 exactly. The one thing I don't like about this is that you can't see your photo in the preview. Thus it's easy to get the wrong photo by mistake.

Steve

• Cher
    11 years ago

I think this would be better if they allowed atleast a 500 kb upload. The size they allow means every photo has to be clicked on. Way too time consuming for a post with lots of photos.

If they allow a 5 inch photo it's not that big that it causes problems with lots of photos in the thread. Seems some are having problem with their uploads not being resized anyway which I thought it was doing for them. As of right now I would still use pb so I can post a little bigger photo and people would not have to click on them to see it.
    Cher

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cher, you mention a post with a lot of photos. You mean a thread with many photos? The GW uploader allows only one photo per POST, unless I'm overlooking something. Being able to do more than ONE photo per POST would be a help too.

I began using the Flickr new uploader, and it made it a lot easier to input photos there. Open the uploader, open my picture folder on my computer, and drag & drop. That's how I did my latest Flickr album of 139 photos and about 500 MB in size. I'd previously added tags and hosta names before uploading, so those were plugged in by Flickr and are now searchable by tag/name online.

This is getting pretty handy, although I would like to post pictures straight from the computer and I like the concept that GWeb is working on.

I think 500 kb would help a lot, bigger and more detailed is better, because many photos here uploaded are for the purpose of recognizing disease or signs of it anyway, and a tiny photo does not serve the purpose. Reducing the hi res image to a 250kb one loses all the impact of the last generation of camera technology, or so it seems to me.

My system is set up a different way, and it is not convenient to set up another parallel one. I created the Flickr and Photobucket accounts so I could post photos on GW, otherwise I'd be using only Webshots for my photo albums. That's my reasoning, FWIW, YMMD.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Fourth try

• irawon
    11 years ago

Unsuccessful even though file reduced

• irawon
    11 years ago

Hurray, I did it! I hope I can do it again!

• irawon
    11 years ago

I exported the image from i Photo to my desktop. Then using the TOOLS menu I resized the image. You have to submit your message after choosing the file on GardenWeb. It doesn't work if you ask to preview the message again.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Now, how does one edit one's message once it has been posted??

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

irawon - now try it with a size closer to 250k, your photo was too small to really see anything.

Regarding editing a message - you only get one shot, make it a good one.

Paul

• irawon
    11 years ago

Is this size better? 'June' in front of 'Halcyon'

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Yes it is - size is 178K.

Paul

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looking good there, irawon. Like the picture.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I'm too lazy to have to click twice on a photo to see it. I'll stick with Photobucket...as long as that puts my photo in the message w/o having to click to see it bigger.

-Babka

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

So I want to see if the size is now sufficiently reduced :
    Bernd

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

This is my Empress Wu right now, got really big in 2 years!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bernd, is that a 36 inch yardstick? THREE FEET? PLUS?
    Ahhh, I might be buying more land.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

yes, that's a yard stick. 30 inches tall and 55 inches wide after planting a 2 or 3 eye plant out of a pot in 2010. It is in light shade and gets water from the vegetable garden sprinkler. I wonder what that will look in 5 years. It is actually my grandson's and he is amazed.
    Bernd

• irawon
    11 years ago

Trying to upload a pic of 'Golden Meadows' which I took today...not completely unfurled yet but roobust looking in its third year if I say so myself.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was my grandmother(s) who got me interested in gardening too. So you've done it for your grandson. Congratulations on creating another generation of plant lovers.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Yes, he (8 yrs) took over my vegetable garden with Empress in it, has also now dwarf apple and cherry trees, loves to bring in the vegetables to his Mama. He also has Stiletto and Blue Cadet. Possibly I will show him hosta hybridizing, he loves science. I have don R's book now.
    My grandfather taught me gardening in summer vacations.
    Bernd

• nutmeg4061
    11 years ago

Testing...