SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostales

Which Hostas have been most Cold Damaged this spring

hostaLes
12 years ago

With the not so secure feeling I should be past the danger of freeze I felt I could re-open the question of what hostas best withstand overnight frost or freeze. I have been out of pocket ffor over a month.

Prior to my absence I had made some comments about which hostas I felt would best withstand sudden cold blasts. I expressed the opinion that I felt species hostas should do better than cultivars, i.e. tissue cultured plants. This was based on the premiss that they survive in nature. I now retract this as follie.

After the hot March spell I was not available to protect any of my hostas when freeze or frost warnings came along. Of my 80 or so hostas consisting of 65 varieties, only one show severe damage - plantaginea. I have 3 3rd, year divisions planted in 3 different locations, and all 3 were flattened to the ground with the frozen leaves transparent. None other than plantaginea showed any damage at all. Within 5 feet of one of the plantaginea were 6 late fall purchases that were bedded for overwintering in late September. They included Earth Angel, Guardian Angel, Sea Queen, and others. None showed any damagge at all.

So I am wondering, which have you found to have been affected the worse this spring? Has anyone else found plantaginea to be tender? I realize conditions vary, but remember my 3 were all planted among other hostas sharing the exposure and the only ones damaged.

Les

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting