SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melva02

Tomato jam question

melva02
15 years ago

Mrswhlbarrow and I were talking about this recipe she posted on Your Greatest Hit Recipes for Leesa. She already canned it, and I thought it looked borderline on acid, so now that I've made her nervous, could we get some more opinions?

I know you can't can a cooking recipe. But Mrswhlbarrow says that the blog originally said the recipe may be canned, though that line has been removed. Blog commenters seem to be divided on its canning safety.

I'm wondering whether anyone knows of a similar recipe from a reputable cookbook. I didn't see anything like it in Small Batch Preserving or the Ball Complete Book, but Carol has said The Jamlady Cookbook is very safe in terms of acidity...does she have a tomato jam with an added low-acid ingredient?

The question is, in one pint of jam composed of cooked-down tomatoes, is 2T lime juice (I would use bottled) enough acid for 1 jalapeno and 1T ginger? I'm pretty sure it will work if I sub red pepper flakes, because then you could consider it 1T lime juice for 1 pint of tomatoes and 1T lime juice for 1T ginger.

Thoughts?

Melissa

Tomato Jam

recipe by Mark Bittman from his blog Bitten at nytimes.com

1 1/2 pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped

1 cup sugar

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon salt

1 jalapeño or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste. (I used two Thai bird peppers and included the seeds)

1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.

2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week.

Yield: About 1 pint.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville