SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Need some help...but what a good problem to have!

nomorebluekitchen
14 years ago

A friend just moved into a new house last fall. The back yard is full of hostas and she and her husband want them all gone. Lucky me :)

I went over today to begin digging them up. I told myself - if there are 10 I'll be overjoyed; if there are 5 I'll be so happy. Walked in the yard, OMG, thought - there must be 60! They are everywhere, all through the lawn and behind day lilies and hidden under trees.

The problem: 90% of them are the same variety. She had a few variegated ones and three of the most beautiful hosta I've ever seen - a tiny, lovely variegated type with such beautiful coloring. But most of them are a medium green, shiny leaved, kind of plain looking hosta. (I'll post some photos tomorrow.)

My question is this: what is a good strategy for using so many of the exact same variety?

I've never been a fan of a single variety all lined up in a border - that is boring to me. In fact, based on seeing mostly that kind of presentation, I thought I didn't like hosta:) I learned from photos on this forum that hostas are so beautiful when varieties are mixed.

I have a very large yard with a landscape bed 6-10 feet deep all around the perimeter, so I have plenty of space to work with. My thought right now is to use it as kind of a structural element in the garden - weave an undulating pattern with them through the garden, and then fill in with all different kinds in the spaces between. Would love to see photos if anyone has something like this.

And by the way, I counted as I unloaded today and I was at 27...and we barely had made a dent. There could be 150 more based on my sense of what % I took today.

Fun, fun, fun!!!

Comments (2)