SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_in_washington

Bread & Butter Jalapenos -- was Candied Jalapenos

JRSlick (Jay) had a recipe a couple of days ago for Bread & Butter Pickled Jalapenos. That intrigued me, so I bought the required 4 pounds, and other ingredients and want to start them tomorrow.

I have a question, though: Because I don't eat Jalapenos (husband does) I don't know if I'm supposed to take all of the seeds from the sliced peppers. Also don't know if I use a White Vinegar or Cider Vinegar. Jay mentions SLICING the peppers and onions, then mentions CHOPPED, and lastly mentions putting them through the FOOD PROCESSOR. So I'm confused. B&B pickles normally are slices -- and this sounds like it might be a relish when he mentions chopping and/or using the food processor.

If anyone (or Jay) knows about these, or has made them, I'd love to hear. Here's the copied recipe and notes Jay made:

"I know they are not Candied Jalapenos, but they are really good. I send them by the case to my Uncle in Texas. He can't get enough of them. Jay

Here is a great canning recipe for Jalapenos. I probably made over 50 pints last year.

Recipe: Bread and Butter Jalapenos

This makes a very tasty and spicy addition to almost any meal.

Bread and Butter Jalapenos

4 lbs jalepeno peppers

2 lbs onions

3 cups vinegar

2 cups sugar

2 Tbs mustard seed

2 tsp turmeric

2 tsp celery seed

1 tsp ginger

Wash and cut jalapenos and onions into thin slices and cold pack into jars (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience!). I usually chop all the onions and pepper and dump in a 2 gallon ziptop bag, then mix. Place remaining ingredients in large saucepot and bring to a boil. Pour hot mixture into jars,leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water

bath. Yield: about 7 Pints.

I always make 1.5 batches of brine, there never seems to be enough. I also run everything through a food processor. It makes it alot easier to prepare."

Comments (6)