SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plays_in_dirt_dirt

Is this recipe safe to can?

plays_in_dirt_dirt
12 years ago

In reading old posts, I came across a recipe for home canned chili beans. I use a lot of these in the winter and would like to can my own but only with a safe recipe. The recipe was posted June 18, 2010 under the thread, "Canned dry beans and lost the liquid."

Here's the recipe as posted. A red flag for me was the addition of vegetable oil. Is it safe to can?

If not (because of the oil) would it be safe if the onions were steamed in the microwave or just added raw to the mix?

Thanks,

Barbara in Virginia

Spicy Ranch Styled Beans (Chili Beans)

2 lb dried red beans, pinto beans or pink beans

8 cups â¨water for soaking â¨

â¨2 tsp salt â¨

2 cups chopped onions â¨

1/4 cup vegetable oil (or less if you can get by with it) â¨

1 pint Green Chili Salsa (Note) or 2 - 8 oz cans Green Chili Salsa (or use your own home-made) â¨

1 Tbsp chili powder (use a chili powder that reflects your taste for heat or use more or less again depending on taste).

Sort through beans discarding broken, discolored or damaged beans. In a large bowl cover beans with water until 3" above beans. Let soak 10 to 12 hours. Drain and discard soaking water.

In a 6 to 8 quart pot, combine beans, 8 cups water and salt.

In a skillet saute onions in oil until tender but not browned.

Stir sauteed onions and oil into beans.

Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce heat to low.

Cover and simmer 45 minutes.

Drain beans reserving cooking liquid.

In a medium sized bowl combine 2 1/2 cups of reserved cooking liquid, salsa and chili powder. Return beans to pot and stir in salsa mixture. Bring to a boil over medium high heat then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.

Bring remaining reserved cooking liquid to a boil. Ladle beans into jars leaving a 1" headspace. Add enough liquid from pot to cover beans. If necessary add hot reserved cooking liquid to cover beans. Released trapped air.

Process at 10 lb pressure for 65 minutes. Adjust pressure according to altitude and / or style of canner.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner