SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phoebe3141

Growing Garlic Question

phoebe3141
14 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to gardening. I have tried two vegetable gardens so far. The first did not do well due to planting at the wrong time. The second because of buying vegetable varieties that did not grow well in my area, plus my dogs trampled threw what was growing chasing a rat :(

I am going to try again and believe I have my planting times and varieties correct so I am hoping I will do better.

I purchased garlic from Filaree Farms and am excited to give it a go.

After researching varieties that might do well in my area outside Tampa I purchased the following;

Ajo Rojo (Creole)

Georgia Fire

Creole Red

Lorz Italian (artichoke)

I was reading earlier posts for suggestions and noticed that I should refrigerate the garlic for 6 weeks. If I put it in the refrigerator today it will be the first of Dec before I can plant. Is this too late in the year to plant?

I am trying square foot gardening and have read either 6 or 9 per square foot. Does anyone have any ideas how many I should put in a square foot?

Also, I read that garlic does best in pots, but it seems like others do well in beds here on the forum. Has anyone used pots for their garlic and if so how far apart do you put them?

Thank you so much in advance :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting