SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Using and Freezing fresh shelly beans

cziga
11 years ago

I'm really sorry if this has been discussed before ... I'm sure it has somewhere, but I've just spent almost 30 minutes in the search feature (and google seems to focus on green beans) and can't find the info.

I've grown dry beans before, and snap/green beans before, but this was the first year that i've read and heard about fresh shelled / shelly beans and I wanted to try them. I grew several varieties that can be used as shelly beans (Bosnian, Turkey Craw, Bridgewater) and have been waiting for them to ripen. It has been raining for 4 days, I went outside today, and I have a ton of shelly beans ready to pick.

I'm a little unclear how to deal with them and would love some advice.

There are too many for fresh eating, so I will be cooking some and freezing some for later use.

As far as freezing, is this the correct procedure: Shell the beans. Blanch them (the individual beans, already shelled?) for about 3 minutes. Then ice bath for another 3 minutes. Then simply drain and freeze. It is the individual beans that get blanched though, right, not the whole shells ... ie you shell them first, not after?

As far as cooking, do you have to boil them at all to cook them? I have found some nice sounding recipes that involve boiling them in water or stock for about 10 minutes or so, then adding other things. Can you cook them without boiling? Can you saute them, just throw them in a pan with onion/butter/herbs etc ... or when people talk about sauteing them, is that AFTER having boiled them for 10 minutes first?

I'm sorry for asking what must be a common question again, but I find myself faced with a large pile of beans, a short amount of time, trouble with the search feature, and questions/confusion on how to prepare them, lol :) Thanks ...

Comments (4)