SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocketjeremy

Sauerkraut Variation??

rocketjeremy
13 years ago

I've got a question about making sauerkraut. I was talking with a friend at work about different projects we've been working on and he mentioned that he just got finished doing some sauerkraut. I didn't think of it at the time but I asked him about it again today because it didn't sound like he fermented it in the traditional method.

He said it adds salt, cabbage packed in, covers with boiling water and a lid that isn't perfectly tight on it. Then lets them sit and basically ferment in the individual jars I guess and then just tightens up and is done. The most similar thing I could find on the web to it was a recipe for German Sauerkraut listed below:

Ingredients:

* 8-10 cups shredded cabbage, loosely packed (about 2 lbs), about 1 cabbage

* 10 juniper berries

* 1 tsp. caraway seeds

* 1 tsp. yellow mustard seeds

* 1-2 tsp. un-iodized or pickling salt

* 1 c. filtered water mixed with 1 tsp. salt

Preparation:

In a clean, non-metallic bowl, mix cabbage, juniper berries, caraway, mustard seeds, and salt. Stir cabbage to release juices. Let rest 10 minutes then mix again. You may let this rest longer (1-2 hours) if needed.

Sterilize jar and lid by boiling for several minutes in water and draining on a clean dishcloth.

Pack into a sterilized quart-sized, wide-mouthed jar, pushing down with a wooden mallet. Add filtered, or non-chlorinated, salty (1 teaspoon salt per cup of water) water to rim of jar and cap loosely with a sterilized canning lid. Place jar on a tray to catch overflowing juices. Keep jar between 65°F and 72°F for 2-3 weeks.

After bubbling stops, check container and top off with salty (1 teaspoon salt per cup of water, warm slightly to dissolve completely) water if level falls below rim. Skim any (harmless) white spots or film from the top, close jar tightly, wipe off outside of jar and store in the refrigerator until you use it up.

As it's been discussed many times before on here the recipe I'm sure WORKS. However, I wanted to get some input on the safety of such a method. Is it safe. And could you BWB then after the fermentation is done as you do with the traditional Ball Book method to make them shelf-stable as opposed to the fridge?

This guy is extremely intelligent and I trust him implicitly but, at the same time this was one of those from his grandfather, to father, to him kind of things and being PA German myself I know that we are stubborn enough that as long as it ONLY kills 99% of us it must be a good enough method to keep passing down. So, I thought I'd check with some experts.

Comments (3)