SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Salsa Guidelines from Washington State University Coop Extension

14 years ago

Readinglady and I were talking about salsa and canning, pressure canner vs water bath, you know, generally interesting stuff, LOL.

Anyway, she pointed me to this document from Washington State University Extension Service, which says that you should use approved recipes but if you don't, they can be pressure canned for 35 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure.

I guess this probably answers a lot of questions about timing for pressure canning salsa, or maybe not, but I thought it was very interesting and helpful.

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/family/facts/salsa.htm

Somehow my box to add a link went away, so the link is above, and in case that doesn't work, here is the document, copied and pasted, any errors are theirs!

MASTER FOOD PRESERVERS & SAFETY ADVISORS

WSU/Whatcom County Cooperative Extension

1000 N Forest Street, Suite 201, Bellingham WA 98225-5594

Phone: 360/676-6736

FAX: 360/738-2458

Salsa Safety

When canning salsa use only recipes provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) or your county Cooperative Extension office. DO NOT use recipes printed before 1988.

To be safe, all water-bath canned salsa MUST include the addition of vinegar or lemon juice.

Use ONLY the amounts of each vegetable listed in the salsa recipe, however:

You may change one variety or peppers for another to suit your taste.

DO NOT increase the total amount of peppers.

Spices, such as cilantro and oregano may be changed for milder or stronger flavors.

DO NOT change the amount of onion or garlic.

Tomatillos or green tomatoes may be subsituted for tomatoes in any recipe.

DO NOT water-bath peppers, they must be pressure canned.

If a USDA or Cooperative Extension salsa recipe has not bee used, a pressure canner MUST be used instead of water-bath canning. The salsa should be hot packed into pint or half-pint jars. DO NOT use quart jars. Process in a pressure canner 35 minutes at 10 pounds pressure, if using a weighted gauge or 11 pounds pressure with a dial gauge.

Untested salsa recipes may also be frozen or eaten fresh.

Pepper Hotness Scale

Rating Varieties

10 Habanero, Santaka, Thai, Chiltepin

8 Piquin, Cayenne, Tabasco

6 Yellow Wax Hot, Serrano, Jalapeno, Mrasol

4 Hungarian Wax, Cascabel, Poblano (green or red), Ancho

2 Anageim (green or red), Sweet Gypsy, R-Naky, Mexi-Bell, Cherry

0 Mild Bells, Sweet Banana, Pimento

DO NOT increase the total amount of peppers in any canning recipe. However, you may substitute one variety of peppers for another to suit you taste.

Hopefully, this will be of use or interest to those who want to pressure can salsa with less acidity than the water bathed versions.

Annie

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living