SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksrogers

Pomegranates and Villaware

ksrogers
15 years ago

Got the following email from a poster here, but felt it was important enough to be posted direct to the HARVEST forum. It reads as follows:

nanahanna wrote:

>[This message originated at GardenWeb]

>
>Hi Ken! I have harvested about 40 poms off my bush and am getting ready to use the Villaware thingy to get the juice out. Can you give any advice on how to go about it? Do I break them apart and try to just squeeze the fleshy berry parts and try not to get any of the "pith" in there?

>
>Thanks!

>Nanahanna

My reply to the question:

Hi,

The hard outer skin is removed. The pith is quite thin. The seeds (to my recollection) are almost as big as grape seeds, but I may be wrong. If they are, you first need to use the OPTIONAL grape spiral which is shorter in length compared to the regular auger. The shorter length red auger prevents big seeds from jamming the conical strainers, as the waste gets pushed out less of a distance to the end of the strainer. In any event, the optional berry screen or maybe even the standard screen strainer can be used, but I am not sure which. I would expect that the regular strainer that comes with the machine would allow a slight amount of pith through, but most would get pushed out the end as waste, along with the seeds. The optional berry screen should keep out all pith. Also, because of the larger amount of waste issue, you could try running the waste through a second time, but allow its juices (out the side of the strainer) to go into a separate bowl where you can taste test it to see if its of the same quality and flavor.

In the future, it would be more beneficial to everyone if you post a question like this in the HARVEST forum directly, as doing a private and personal reply to a very good question limits the solution/answer to just you alone. I have taken the liberty of capturing your initial post and have created a new thread for any further info from others on the recently, very popular, Pomegranates and extracting their juice.

Ken

Comments (4)