SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malna_gw

How does this elderberry preserve recipe sound?

malna
15 years ago

My elderberries really kicked in this year, so I have 4-2 gallon bags in the freezer. Looking for something to do with them, I found this recipe for preserves. Never having tasted elderberry jam, do you think the almond (or amaretto) would be a nice complementary flavor? I like the idea of reduced sugar and I already ordered the Pomona pectin to try and make some sugar-free jams for my stepson, who is a newly-diagnosed diabetic.

(From http://www.modernbeet.com/archives/207)

Wild Elderberry Preserves with Honey and Almond

using PomonaÂs Pectin (citrus-based)

makes ~ 4 1/2 - 5 cups

4 c. mashed elderberries (from about 4 1/2 c. berries)

1/4 c. lemon juice

2 t. calcium water (from PomonaÂs Pectin package)

1 c. honey at room temperature

2 t. PomonaÂs powdered pectin

1 t. pure almond extract

Sterilize 5 cups worth of canning jars and their corresponding lids and rings according to your favorite method. (I heat the jars in a 250 degree oven for 15 minutes (or longer), and boil the lids and rings for 5 minutes; leave rings/lids in water until ready to use; leave jars in oven until ready to use)

In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, combine elderberries, lemon juice, and calcium water. In another bowl, combine honey and pectin powder and mix well. Bring fruit mixture to a boil, then add honey mixture. Stir vigorously for 2-3 minutes, return mixture to a boil, then remove from heat. Add almond extract and mix well. (Note: with no-pectin preserves, I would do a Âjell test at this point  with PomonaÂs pectin, the preserves jell as they cool, and a jell test at this stage wonÂt tell you anything)

Ladle preserves into jars, filling within 1/4 inch of the top, wipe rims clean, and close with lid and ring. Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes (add 1 minute for every 1000' feet above sea level). Preserves will set as they cool (allow at least 5-6 hours). Stored in a cool, dark place, preserves will last for many months.

Comments (7)