SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Processing low acid tomatoes

lpinkmountain
9 years ago

So I sort of have to follow a low acid diet and I grew special low acid yellow romas and I am about to can them when it occurs to me, DUH, what good does it do to grow low acid tomatoes and then BWB can them by adding lemon juice to the jars! I didn't bring my pressure canner to the new apt. so I'm thinking I might just freeze them since I have a relatively small amount. So can I follow the recipe in the Ball Blue Book of Canning for seasoned tomatoes, (sans lemon juice addition), and then just freeze instead of BWB? It calls for peeling and chopping them up and heating them/boiling them for five minutes before packing them in the jars. Or would I be better off just peeling them, chopping them and freezing them raw? Which would be better to preserve flavor? Or is is six of one, half a dozen of the other? I like the idea of freezing the seasoned ones because then they would be ready to go to add to dishes I was cooking to create fast chili, spaghetti sauce, creole sauce, etc. Those are the three spice blends in the Ball Blue Book. Not that the low acid tomatoes have all that much flavor to begin with, lol!

Comments (5)