SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brute_gw

Mad Max II: A 'Weedeater's' Survival Club?

brute
15 years ago

I'll confess something. This vegetable gardening and tropical fruit tree planting isn't something I've been doing because I need a hobby.

Maybe I'm just a pathological pessimist who's been hanging around on the internet too long, but I really do believe the American middle class is going to experience a terrible economic shock in the not-too-distant future. It seems to me our world is balanced on a house of cards. The economic course we're on is unsustainable. It must crash. I won't go into all the reasons why I think so, for now.

Anyway, if things become generally grim, we in Florida have one advantage over our northern friends. We don't have to burn stuff nine months out of the year to keep warm, and we basically have a year-round growing season.

Also, although I haven't really looked, I'd bet we literally walk right over lots of free food every day. By that I mean weeds and edible plants.

I've been toying with the idea of forming a "Weedeaters Club". By that, I mean a group of people to get together once in a while with reams of material and photos of wild edible plants in Florida. Then, we'd slather on some insect repellent and hit the woods, marshes, seashores, or wherever else our books tell us wild edibles are to be found.

Then, with our gunny sacks bulging with God-knows-what, we'd retire to the nearest member's home to try to make a meal of what we'd gathered.

The data that the survivors accumulate would be priceless. Well, maybe interesting, anyway.

Anybody up for this?

Comments (13)