SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marinewifenc

i have worms! now can i garden here?

Marinewifenc
11 years ago

I have two possible shade garden locations, ideally I'd like to do both. One gets either no sun, or very little morning sun. What could I grow with zero sun? Maybe a little later in the season it might get a bit of sun, I am not sure.

My next one is an area around where my treeline is and where it turns to brush. I have lawn, then large trees mxied with invasive vines, and then a ravine. All of this area gets filtered sunlight, but it's late. The area stays cool. I dug into this soil and I found WORMS. it's been 6 years since i have dug a planting hole and found a worm, it was exciting to actually have soil that worms wanted to be in.

I am worried about the second location because of gardening around trees. These are established large trees and they are Pine (not sure the kind but it's the type that gets really tall and starts to only have pine on the top part), Oak trees, and maple trees. There may be others but this is the majority of them, I pull up 50-100 saplings every year of them. When I dug in there were no roots, given how close i went i thought id hit some, would root growth go towards the ravine instead? How close can i get to the trees?

I have japanese honeysuckle and carolina jasmine vining out of control, as well as greenbriar *i think*. These only seem to vine up the trees and we have been working ongetting rid of it but these are well established vines. Will the vines attack ground plants?

and one last question, if i do plant in here and the soil feels nice and i have lots of little worms, how much amending do i need to do.

Comments (4)