SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Topping mango trees

15 years ago

Yesterday, my DH and I went to the Fruit and Nut Society sale here in Sarasota. Recently seeing happy fl gardener's incredible fruit trees and hearing musicman talk about planting more edibles has given me the bug to get more edibles in my own yard. Being that my full sun areas are valuable spots in my quickly-becoming-more-shaded yard, I have had to look hard at my ornamentals to see if they can be traded in for fruit trees.

Anyway, we came home with a small Mallika mango. I had read on the Fairchild garden's site that these stay small, around 10 feet, but people at the sale seemed to think 20 feet is more accurate. They suggested training the trees to stay at around 8-10 feet by selectively topping them. I have read the info on a couple of sites about doing this, but none show pics, and since I only have two mango trees, I want to make sure I do it right. That's where you folks come in. You always have the answers I don't.

So, does anyone have mango trees that you top or selectively prune on top? How do you do it? Do you have pics that could show me how to do it? Any details or other info is appreciated.

Just like I'm finding my veggies and herbs mingling in ornamental areas away from the veggie garden, now I'm starting the same with fruit trees. You guys always inspire me to try new things. BTW, I really miss seeing pics of Lisa's and Treefrog's veggies. However, there are others like ill-man and cfldoc that are filling in nicely for my fixes. Thank-you!

Anna

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting