SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forestwench

Tomato Strainer question once again

forestwench
13 years ago

Hello all,

Ok - I am a little fed up and need some opinions on how to spend my $ wisely. Some background: I have been canning (tomatos +) for 25 years. I started with an old Victorio strainer, recommended then by Countryside Small Stock Journal during my homesteading life. I loved it and it worked great. Over the years and moves, it broke, lost parts, etc. and I must have looked for the parts when Victorio/Vittorio disappeared for awhile, so I ended up buying a new Victorio.

I am kinda disappointed with this ones performance compared to my old one. It leaks from the handle, the rubber gasket broke and Monday night we had a nightmare just trying to finish processing. It wouldn't pull through, for lack of better terms. We stopped, cleaned it all - same problem. Thinking it had something to do with physics - lol , tried creating air bubbles, letting it 'cool' down - ever notice how hot the plastic gets? nothing worked. Finally removed the now pulverized pulp and strained it through cheesecloth! Too late and my brain was fried.

We were processing a fairly large load - 40 lbs of pastes, so I can understand the strain. I am wondering now if the screw is worn.

So tired of plastic parts. I also have an old KA mixer with the assessories, but we prefer the hand crank. Can be far quicker sometimes and my KA motor isn't what it used to be. It's fine for what I use it for, so I don't need a new one of those.

I am thinking of investing in a good stainless steel one. We process enough to justify this expense, I think.

Has anyone used the Squeezo? I like that's it is made in the USA, not China. I notice it doesn't have a shield, but I usually make one out of heavy foil, even for the Victorio. Any other brands out there I should look into?

Thanks for any suggestions. We still have alot to process...

Comments (3)