SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

OT: Went crazy planting the spring bulbs

newyorkrita
13 years ago

Every year I say I am going to plant this entire garden up with bulbs in the fall for a fantastic spring display. Each fall I do plant some, like last fall 200 daffs. But this year I finially did the large scale planting that I have been wanting to do for years and years. It should look awesome next spring.

I ordered in the summer so I knew I would have to deal with it in the fall. If I wait until fall, I just don't get many bulbs as I don't feel like planting them.

So been planting since the four huge boxes of bulbs came last week I think. Lost track of time now. I feel like it took forever to get it done.

Back yard. 200 mixed dutch iris between the Tall bearded iris. 400 dutch iris in front of the bearded iris garden over by the daylilies. 100 tulips running along in front of the daylily section.

Side yard section by porch. About 60 daffs in back, 6o tulips in front of them and afew dutch iris in front of everything. Another 40 daffs and 40 tulips in the tower square iris garden in back and between bearded iris plants put in this summer.

Front yard 100 tulips in front of the two rows of daylilies put in the area done were the tree fell last spring. 50 daffs on each side of the walkway going down to the street to make 100 daffs.

Front yard left were the belgian block mini terraces were put this summer. 200 daffs, one hundred in each of the two terraces. I intend to overplant with zinnias after the bulbs bloom for summer color, One hundred tulips in front of the terraces and in back of the daylilies running along the front.

Front yard right. 100 tulips with 100 daffs in back of them on the topmost terrace in front of the trellis with honeysuckle vines. There used to be daylilies there but now only daylilies at the end, I moved the others. I intend to overplant with 4 o'clocks after the bulbs bloom there. Next terrace another 100 daffs in back of the daylilies there and in front of the tall beared iris.

Believe it or not, there are lots of places were I could have still put bulbs but didn't because no bulbs for there. I had this planned out and knew where all these were going. Those other spots will have to wait for another year to get planted. I am poofed out and tired dragging my self around tonight even though it's finially done. Tomorrow if it doesn't rain I have to do out and make sure all my Tall beared iris have no extra dirt or mulch on them as I was moving mulch around and dirt too from digging holes and planting.

Comments (29)