SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fantasylilies

Daylily Seed Protocol

fantasylilies
16 years ago

Hi everybody - wanted to ask what the protocol is for buyers when DL seeds purchased on the LA do not germinate. How should we handle it with the Sellers when say only 2 seeds out of 10 from a crossing germinate?? Also, simply when non out of a batch germinated? Most of my crossings purchased this summer have germinated, but about 4 lots did not. It has been about 6 weeks since planted. How long do we wait until it is decided they are duds??

Thanks! - Chris in CA

Comments (13)

• okbt
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had some Dip seeds that did not germinate for 83 days.When they did it was 3 out of 6 and 2 died.I think seeds are a crap-shoot.As long as they are firm and havebeen packaged and shipped properly,I don't really find the Seller to be at fault.I did find that seeds from one source seemed to have a much lower germination rate than any others I have bought though.I contacted the Seller and was told to give them 90 days,and that they had no problem with their seeds.If an entire lot did not germinate I would call the Seller and let them know.You have a 50/50 chance of getting replacements.

Betsy

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

I bought 15 seeds of a new hybrid cross from a seller in 2006, they all germinated within 10 days. I then bought another batch at a much higher starting price and finishing price(it was really too much, but I stayed in to the finish). None of these germinated, not one. I contacted the seller via email, they responded that both batches of seeds came out of the same sack and they should have germinated the same. They also told me to wait 2 more weeks and then contact them again. I waited, none germinated and the seller sent me a replacement batch of seeds. I got 90% germination on the replacement seeds. These also came from the same sack according to the seller. I think the seller was honest and they stated that I was the only person to ask for replacement seeds, so this really made me feel bad. I still think that I did the right thing in asking for a refund in this case. I paid about $4 per seed and this was a huge amount for me to pay.

Now, What was wrong, I don't know. I plant all of my seeds the same. The temps were about the same, so I don't know the answer to why. I even tried to get some of the bad seeds to germinate in wet paper towels, nothing, then tried water and peroxide, nothing germinated. The seeds were still big and plump, but they would not germinate. I left some in the pro-mix soil all winter and they still didn't germinate, so who knows the answer as to what was wrong.

I have had a germination rate of 10% and not said the first thing because I only paid about 50 cents a seed and didn't think it was a big deal. Also, the quanity of seeds that you buy of one cross can cause very different germination rates. I grew over a thousand seeds last year and had an overall germination rate of 88% and was very pleased with this percentage.

I intend to sale some seeds later in the year. This experience is haunting me. What if I sale seeds to someone and none germinated and I don't have any of the same crosses to replace their purchases with?? I can refund money, but what if they just don't know how to plant and care for the seeds?? This is really a gamble with seeds.

I will state that I got 8 seeds last year that were dried up, flat, wrinkled and looked plum dead. I even wrote on the labels that I thought the seed were bad. All 8 seeds germinated and are now year old seedlings ready to bloom next year. Like I said, this is a gamble with seeds.

I think buying seeds is a gamble for buyer and seller. I also believe that asking for a replacement or refund depends on a buyers overall experience with growing seeds.
    This is why keeping records of what you grow is so important. Records will also show you the big diffenece in germination time. Some in just 3 days, some in 8weeks. Time can vary greatly on daylily seeds. These records should tell the buyer when a group of seeds were really bad. If you get an overall rate of gemination that is high when you grown several hundred seeds then you will know a bad batch. If you have only grown a few seeds, then you can expect to have some at low germintaion rates. Always ask about the process you use to grow seeds. Growing seeds can be hard if you don't use the correct soil, keep seeds moist but not wet, warm but not hot, clean containers, cover the seeds to the correct depth and I'm sure there is something that I'm forgetting.

The best thing to do is contact the seller to see if they have had other complaints. Be open to suggestions from the seller and any questions they may ask you.

Oh yes, one very important thing. This is my opinion and opinions vary about as much as ways of growing daylily seeds. So, please take my suggestions and add them to all the others you get, mix well, and form your own opinion! Isn't growing seeds fun. You will find that sometimes that one out of 50 seeds will germinate and that one can be the biggest winner you will ever grow! Keep the faith and allow the beauty of seeing your seeds bloom for the first time light up your life.

Blessings to all, Mona

• Related Discussions

Have Cold Treated Daylily Seeds, Other Seeds

Q

Comments (2)
    Please check my tradelist and let me know if you would like to trade. Best to you, quiltingfox
    ...See More

over 200 mixed daylily seeds, rosa rogosa seeds ready as well.

Q

Comments (9)
    Am interested in trading for daylily seeds any color. Please check out my trade list and let me know if you would like to trade. I also have some cleome and some blanket flower seeds available for trade. PLMK via email if you would like to trade. Best to you and thanks, quiltingfox
    ...See More

Hardy lime seed protocol and deciduous azalea source

Q

Comments (2)
    Schumacher general,decent presentation on how to treat seeds is a worthwhile read...suggest a minimum/maximum thermometer in areas where one decides to stratify... http://www.treeshrubseed.com/treatingseed.htm Here is a link that might be useful: schumacher
    ...See More

Definitive guide to rose seed germination protocol?

Q

Comments (10)
    I beleive some members of RHA have had good luck germinating seeds that were up to 3 years old. One member was even able to get a few 20 year old seeds to germinate by removing the embryo from the seed coat. Not recommended unless you know what you're doing as you'll just end up with a bunch of squashed seeds, I know from experiance. It still may possible to germinate the seeds this year, though I wouldn't recommend it in our climate. It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 months for seeds to germinate. The earlier ones would be germinating in June and might have time to develop before fall. The later ones would be germinating in August and wouldn't have time to put out much growth or to harden off before it starts getting cold. Where did you get these seeds? Did you purchase them? Or did you collect them yourself? If you collected them, did you collect them last fall or just recently? Some people have had good luck germinating seeds that been frozen, but I always had the best results with fresh seeds. What kind of seeds are they? That can make a difference on how you treat them and how long they germinate.
    ...See More
  • bambi_too
    16 years ago

I agree, Give them 90 days, I have had some germinate in late August that were planted in late May.

• fantasylilies
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everybody! I'm so glad to hear that they may still germinate, and that some small, shriveled ones might still be alive!! Overall, I've had super luck with around 95% gremination success. It just get's super important when you pay upwards of $35 for 5 or so seeds(I KNOW you all know what I mean)!!

Will post pics of some of these crosses when they bloom next Spring!

-Chris in CA

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

This summer, the first batch of seeds that I planted all rotted (over 100 seeds). It was my fault. I put the flats in an area that did not have good air circulation, and they were soaked several times by afternoon showers. Add high temps and high humidity to the equation and you get rot. After this experience, I decided to germinate all my seeds indoors in water. After they sprouted, I planted each one in a small cup and placed them outdoors in the shade. The exact same crosses that rotted previously, now had nearly 100% germination. Obviously, there are a lot of variables when growing DL's from seed, even for experienced growers.

Chris, you might want to dig up a couple of your seeds and squeeze them gently. If they are still firm, but no roots, replant and give them a little more time. If they are mushy, or burst when you squeeze them, they've rotted.
    Good luck,
    Kathy

• Nancy Barginear
    16 years ago

This has been my first year to plant daylily seeds. Relying on information I got from the internet, I soaked the seeds in a peroxide/distilled water mixture for three weeks. I planted the first group of them in plastic storage bins, and only got about a 10% germination rate.

It was then I read about putting them (still in their container in water) in a dark closet for a week after removing them from the refrigerator. To my surprise, they began to germinate rapidly starting on the fifth day. From that point on, I had at least a 90% germination rate. I only planted them once they sprouted. They germinated at different times, although they had all been initially refrigerated, soaked, etc. at the same time. I could be wrong, but I suspect the slower ones might have been dormants.

This coming year, I will again soak them in the peroxide/distilled water solution, but will leave them in the refrigerator for a minimum of six weeks, before putting them in the dark closet. That should be sufficient for dormants. This worked very well for me.

I also had good luck planting them 4-5 days after harvest without any pre-soaking, five or six to a cup, and setting them outside in a pan filled with water. I put them on a shady porch and kept them moist by misting 4-5 times a day until they germinated. I did not cover the cups in fear of damp-off. These turned out to be the sturdiest and fastest-growing ones of all in the long run.

I ended up with 256 seedlings out of about 500. I expect to have a much better germination rate this coming year, now that I've learned about the "dark closet" approach.

• carmen_grower_2007
    16 years ago

I expect the success with the dark closet is because they think they are in the ground. I had no luck with the peroxide/water thing when I started with seeds about 10 years ago. Now, I sprout them in a zip-lock baggie with a handful of either damp Pro-Mix or peat moss and within 2 weeks most all have sprouted. (They probably do like the dark!)

• okbt
    16 years ago

I had a worse germination rate using the peroxide and water than with any other method.Some say the peroxide damages the embryo.I plant mine in a pot covered by saran wrap and when the seedlings start to grow I slit the wrap with a razor blade so it can grow up through it until all seeds are accounted for,then remove the wrap.I have nearly 100% germination.The odd seed here and there doesn't.If there is a bad batch of seeds,none will germinate,or one will start to grow only to die before getting over an inch tall.Who knows what the seeds go through in transit too? Baking in a truck,rapid heat to cold changes,x-rays,altitude and all.As long as the seeds are firm and packaged right,I believe the Seller is acting in good faith,but I did inquire about their own success rate when I got an apparent bum lot.

Betsy

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

Mona,
    I have been selling seed on the LA and E-bay for 7 or 8 years now, and ony refunded 1 buyer, and it turned out it was an undesireable. She was bouncing checks, not paying for purchases, and pulling the "they didn't germinate" scam on others. If they look good they usually are, they just take awhile to germinate sometimes.

JOhn

• Nancy Barginear
    16 years ago

I did not find that the peroxide/distilled water solution did any damage whatsoever to the seeds or sprouts, but then I watched them closely, beginning on the 5th day of being in the closet. The first thing I did every morning was fix myself a cup of coffee, and head for the closet. I'd sit down at the breakfast room table and check every seed, so they never remained more than 24 hours in the solution, once sprouted.

I'll try the dampened peat moss/zip lock baggie method next spring. I'm still at the experimental/learning phase and very open to suggestions from those of you who know far more than I do. If that's an easier and more sure-fire method, I'll go for it. I would not have known about the "dark closet" method, had I not read about it here at GW.

It is a very distinct possibility, as was stated, that sudden or excessive changes in temperature or altitude could affect the viability of seeds, something of which neither the seller nor the buyer might be aware, and if x-rays can harm a fetus, then why not a seed?

I haven't given up completely on the seeds that did not sprout. I put them back in the refrigerator for one more chance -- another six weeks of cold storage. If they sprout, great, and if they are real duds, all I have to do is trash them.

And yes, buying seeds is a gamble. You win some, you lose some. With what I read here, it sure makes me wonder if I want to take the risk of buying seeds at auction, or even trying to sell them at some point in the future!

• weldontx
    16 years ago

Have several seeds in frige now. Could someone tell me what LA is, and ow to get there??S

Weldon

• daylilydayzed
    16 years ago

Weldon,
    The LA is the Lily Auction, hosted by Mike Longo. It requires registering before you can bid on anything but is free . Sellers have to pay a small fee to sell their seeds or plants on the Lily Auction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily Auction

• weldontx
    16 years ago

daylilydazed, THANKS, I certainly want to bookmark that page.
    Can't afford the $100 bunch. But have that old champagne taste on a beer budget!!!

Weldon