SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlelizard_gw

What would you plant under this window?

littlelizard
15 years ago

Hi, I had planted some ferns in my front landscaping and they really took over my whole garden. They were huge and spreading so fast. I love ferns but they had to go. Now I have this lovely dirt patch that is sort of like a triangle from the window to the front path. I've been searching books and the web for ideas and my head is spinning. The house faces northwest. This spot is shady all morning, then some afternoon sun, then gets shaded again by an oak. I tried azaleas here once but they didn't do well. I'm thinking of putting in some small rounded shrubs near the walkway, with some containers of flowers in the middle of the widest part as a focal point, but I'm stumped when it comes to what goes right in front of the window. I don't mind if the window gets covered a little bit. I have a toddler so I want to stay away from anything with thorns or highly poisonous plants. I am trying to post a photo so you can see the area (the last clump of fern remains but will be removed also). I did save some ferns and put them in pots that I might put on either side of the window. This forum has such great ideas and I don't want my house to look boring with a generic florida yard. I like tropical plants and I also like Japanese gardens. Any ideas? Please help! Thank you!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio