SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luskilu

Paranoid canner question

luski
17 years ago

Hi -

So far I've only canned high acid foods - fruits, jams & jellies and cucumber pickles. Yesterday while picking green beans, another lady that was at the u-pick field mentioned that the secret to her dilly beans was not to process them. I'm assuming that she meant she used a refrigerator pickle recipe and not open kettle canning (scary to think about!). I can't find a refrigerator recipe for dilly beans but was wondering if (processing correctly with the correct amount of vinegar) the addition of vinegar prohibits the possibility of botulism when BWB processing the dilly beans? I'm thinking about using the recipe in the BBB, but am still kind of a wimp when it comes to canning green beans, even if they are pickled. I'm guessing that they would be like cucumbers, and that if something went wrong they would be moldy and it would be clear that they couldn't be eaten. Maybe I've heard too many horror stories about home canned green beans from my mother, but I'm trying to stick with recipes that have no chance of botulism poisoning.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Don't think I would have even tried peaches if it hadn't been for you guys. You're a great bunch!

Lu

Comments (9)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional