SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Wrong time of year for a major project?

solstice98
16 years ago

OK, be honest with me. I can take it.

I'm tired of the out-of-control weeds in one of my perennial beds. It's a constant struggle and with all the traveling I've done this summer it's just plain ugly right now. (The other beds aren't much better but this one is the worst.) I'm considering digging up everything and stacking the plants I want to keep in a nice shady spot while I get rid of all the weedy junk. I'll probably have some plants I can divide and pot up for the swap although I think most of it is just nasty. It will be a good opportunity to amend the soil a little and turn in some Black Kow and composted wood chips. Then I can add an access path down the center - something it's been lacking - and replant the good stuff. I should end up with a little room for some new goodies, too. The bed is 6 or 7 feet across and about 8 or 9 feet deep at the top of the curve. WAY too big to easily reach into the middle of for weeding and that's part of the problem.

But the big question is: Can I do this now or is it still too warm? Should I wait until November? Of course, I would like to do it before Oct 20th so you can see it all pretty and nice but I'll put up with weedy and ugly if this is bad timing.

The bed gets direct sun early in the day, filtered sun throughout the morning and shade from about 1pm on.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Kate

It's the section to the right here in this photo. This was taken earlier this summer and it doesn't look even this good now.

Comments (11)