SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golfcourselawn

Major clay soil amending project...timing?

golfcourselawn
15 years ago

After spending about 50 hours in the yard over the past month, I've decided that something must be done with my soil. As you can imagine, it varies quite a bit, but for the most part it's clay. In central MS, we have red and yellow/white (Yazoo) clay. I've transplanted about 10 trees/shrubs that were planted too close to my house about 10 years ago, long before I owned it. During the project, I encountered wet, clumpy clay and dry, compact clay that was almost like concrete. After much research, I decided that aerating and top dressing with 12 cu.yds. of sandy loam (about 3in. layer) would not work, as the roots would still have problems with the clay. So, I've decided instead to bring in enough course sand and compost/manure to cover about 6-8", then till it into the clay to about 6-8". I know this will be a killer task, but it should only cost about $200 for the material, and $50 for renting a large tiller.

The question I have is when. In order to really make this work well, I'll need to do it over the beds and the lawn. I'm not too worried about the beds, since I can just work around the bigger shrubs/trees and remove and re-install the smaller ones. The lawn on the other hand, would be totally destroyed for some time. If I did this to the lawn, as described above, it would essentially remove all the bermuda I have planted and maintained. My guess is that since it's bermuda, it will come back, but I'm not sure. So I'm really looking for someone with a lot more experience to give me some guidance here about the best time/process to use overall, and especially with the lawn.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (23)