SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlwgardener

Voles attack Big Smile

mlwgardener
12 years ago

I responded to a post one day this last week about Big Smile daylily telling how much I love this one. Welllll, I went out the next day and decided to check my BS clump out to see just how bad of shape it was in. It's been about 8 years since I planted it into the ground, so it is time for some serious dividing. Low and behold, it had been attacked by a vole!! Looked like it had happened the night before. Talk about the Lord looking out for me!!! The stinking vole had only ate some of the bigger roots, leaving most of the feeder roots attached and enough of the bigger roots that all should live. If I hadn't seen the post about Big Smile, I wouldn't have thought to dig them up probably until very late this year. By then, I'm sure the vole would have killed them all. I was so very thankful that I found them still in pretty good shape.

I dug all of them up. They had grown in the same spot for so long, that they litterally were setting on top of the soil. They were surrounded by dead leaves and compost and very little soil. This made them very easy to dig up, for a change and easier on me than most of my in ground ones that I've dug up. Red and yellow clay makes for terrible digging and dividing of daylilies. You will just have to imagine how many "hairs"(dead leaf residue) surrounded each fan. I've got to completely rework the bed that Big Smile was in, so I decided to pot them up. The fans were all medium size to small. I finished potting and had 18 3gal pots and 2 5gal pots. I have 84 fans in these pots. I normally only put at the most 2 fans in a 3 gallon pot, but these were so small that 4 fit with plenty of growing room. These fans just don't get very big even when they have plenty of room for growing.

I will have several pots that I'm going to try to sale next year. I just didn't think I'd have 20 pots!!! Of course, I'll keep atleast 5 pots of them, maybe more. It's just like trying to decide which child to sale!!! I'm a born hoarder with a daylily addiction. I've sold a few seed a couple of years ago, but not plants. So, next year will be a new venture for me. I get weak and kinda sick feeling all over when I'm setting there potting up all my babies and think about some of them leaving home!!! I read on here where some of you "shovel prune" some of your plants and others actually compost seedlings that they decide not to keep!!!!! I'd probably have to be sedated if someone told me I had to "Compost" some of my babies. A few years ago I had several pots of really really sad looking babies. They were dips that had been bee pollenated and they were bad even to me. I just could not compost them. I needed the pots and the room in my rows, so I took all of them to the woods and took them out of the pots. I couldn't dig in the root infested ground in the woods, so I did manage to loosen the soil some and then put leaves all around the poor, rootbound, potless groups of plants. They had atleast a small chance of surviving. I looked out there in the summer of this year, but didn't see any of them. I think the combination of terrible weather and tree roots probably did compost them, but I didn't! Well, now that I've put all to sleep, I'll say thank you for saving my Big Smile daylily. I hope that everyone's voles retreat to the woods to eat to their little hearts content and leave our daylilies alone!

Blessings to all, Mona

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting