SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Put a new Iris Row in front of a daylily section.

newyorkrita
14 years ago

As part of the daylily moving project other things have been moving around also. Earlier I had started a row of Tall Bearded Iris along in a new section in front of the daylily rows at the very top of the terraces garden. I liked the look so much that I thought about how to continue it along further. No simple way to do it no matter how much I thought about it. So moving some daylilies out of the area that used to be the quarter pie garden (before the new edges were put there this summer by simply laying newspaper and edging on top of the grass and topping with old fall leaves and straw) allowed for enough room for changing that garden enough to continue the row of iris further along that garden and have them in front of the redone daylily section.

Here is the summer picture of the started iris row. I don't have a picture of the iris I have going further along because its not finished and still needs work. But I desperately wanted to add Tall Bearded Iris to the garden and was having lots of problems with doing so as I just didn't like my first attempt. That was were I just put all the iris in the square raised bed I put in this summer. I planted the iris and when it was all done I thought it looked horrible. Waiting and living with it for awhile didn't change my mind and improve the situation.

I took some of the iris and planted them way at the far end of the Floribunda rose garden in the front yard and then started that iris row up top. I don't think I really intended to bring it further along until I saw how well it turned out.

This moving of Iris also freed up room in the square garden and I have been putting in late and very late blooming daylilies in part of that garden I call Tower Square.

Comments (11)