SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Here's The New Daylily Garden

newyorkrita
15 years ago

I have talked about doing a section just for late daylilies since I got the idea last summer. It is just to the left of the plateau up in the back yard. You can just see the end of the blocks of the plateau in the very right hand corner.

First I had the low wall done with those same blocks used in the plateau. Then we had to wait until spring to move all those shrubs back that you can now see up against my neighbors retaining wall. They used to be in the middle of the bed. The left hand end of the bed also needed some rearranging. All the plants had to be lifted and soil put in to raise the grade as you went towards the left. You can see that the ground slopes so to make it level, there starts out as one block here on the right to go to three blocks high to the left.

Then I had brought afew late bloomers here and there but I had planned to put the lates from Perfect Perrenials in that garden. It looked for most of this spring that I would not be getting that order but it finially worked out so the newest 5 daylilies there completed that first row of lates and extra lates. It was a weedy mess by now as I had hit a snag and I had to really weed before I could plant and mulch.

I transplanted those grain Amaranths for a row in front of the shrubs and then for this year I have some annual tropical Milkweed planted in back of the row of daylilies. Plants are small and only put in the other day so you can't see them.

Then some leftover bagged autumn leaves for mulch and that garden looks pretty good. I hope to put in a second row of lates and extra lates maybe next year but this was a good start.

Here is a view looking down the grass path in front of that garden toward the fountain garden in at the side yard fence. The taller scapes that snuck into the picture on the extreme right are up on the plateau. They are not some super tall daylilies, just up in the raised bed.

Comments (23)