SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Bitten by the Roses Bug, Daylilies Bug and Now Iris Bug

newyorkrita
15 years ago

Before I got the dayliliy crazies in 2007 I had the rose crazies for afew years before that. I still really love my roses although its the mass effect of the entire rose gardens more than mostly specific roses. Of course there are some specific roses I would never care to be without.

Now with the daylilies its more specific but mostly I want great garden plants, rebloom (still working on that) and season extenders.

Everyone here must know that last year I put in so many new daylily beds. One of the things this year that I have been looking for is a plant to put in between the daylilies in the garden bed I called the cosmos bed last year. Called the cosmos bed, duh, because I solved the empty space problem by planting cosmos in between the daylilies there last year. It was a temporary solution. I was thinking spring flowering bulbs like daffs and crocus for sure but did not yet get to planting them. I thought maybe bulb lillies and I might add some of the short ones from my bulb lilly spring order but mostly, I was still looking for something else for there. And I want a perrenial as I do not want to plant annuals there year after year as that garden gets more finished.

So I have been looking and spending time doing research on internet sights. I found the flowers I wanted for there, which are Siberian Iris. A big plus to me is that I love the folliage even when they are not in bloom. Plus they bloom just after the bearded iris. Bearded Iris would not do for this heavily mulched bed but Siberian Iris would do perfectly. Of course there are people who hybridize Siberian Iris but gee, I just picked out a nice selection of 2009 intros on a big name NORTHERN hybridizers site and no one new intro is over $35.00. Really reasonable by daylily intro standards.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor