• joyful_garden
    15 years ago

Looks like morning glory to me

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes , but which one,

The flowers are rather small.......

and I have yet to find any seeds ( at least so far ).

Good grower and VERY dense. Dh likes it enough to build me a trellis for it.

The coin is a quarter..... I know it is out of focus.

I am learning to use my first digital camera , and with Lisa`s help , I can now post

pictures ( I think LOL )

I got it from Kathy kakins and she didn`t know what it was called , and neither does Kat butterflygardener.

Like I said NO SEEDS !.................

• joyful_garden
    15 years ago

There are only a few varieties of these that are red. This might be called Redstar Morning Glory. Look at the pic on the link and see if that's it. I can't see it really well past the flower.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I could be...

The leaf on my plant looks to be a bit longer tho.

i am going to start some cuttings today.

Strange that the are no seeds on a morningglory.

• joyful_garden
    15 years ago

Yeah, I was noticing the leaves too. There is only a few varieties of red morning glory. I know one is Scarlet O Hara but I think it's a deeper red. I'm lost. It's a very pretty flower though

• manature
    15 years ago

It doesn't look like the Scarlett O'Hara I have grown, which had a very nice BIG flower with a white throat. It doesn't quite look like ipoemea coccinea (redstar) either. Most of the varieties of that have a fernier leaf. I'm very curious as to which one it is, too. Surely someone here recognizes it? Looks like a real hummingbird magnet to me, D'Ann. Have you noticed that?

Marcia

• manature
    15 years ago

...I believe the fernier leaved varieties I was thinking of are cardinal climber and cypress vine, rather than coccinea. I've been googling around, but haven't seen anything quite like yours yet, D'Ann. Very pretty, though. If it doesn't seed, does it root from cuttings?

Marcia

• annafl
    15 years ago

D'Ann that's really pretty. I don't know what it is, but something about the habit reminds me of railroad vine (ipomoea pes-caprae). Does it want to crawl on the ground more than climb upward? Of course, the railroad vine is usually purple or pink. Don't know if there is a red one, and the leaf is a bit different too. Would you mind if I posted your pic on another non-GW forum? You might want to post it on tropicals or name that plant forum too. Someone is bound to know. You've got my curiosity up now!

Anna

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes , Marcia got my cutting from Kathy. I kept growing it and snipping , trying to get the 1 gallon pot full .

Once I did that it took off like a rocket.. Even Steve comments' how pretty it is.

I am not so great with the camera... after looking at it I realize it is actually pinky-er than the picture.

But no seeds.

It started to bloom around the time the hummers started to leave around end of April. And I did see some activity with it.

It is really putting on a show now. Late August / Sept seems to be its happytime.

If it is still in bloom by October 1 st ( yes I know the exact DAY they return)

I will see just how much the little buggers like it LOL! We need Kathy to inject some thoughts about it.

I just potted up some cutting so I can share later.

You get first refusal :)

D`Ann

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anna ,

I didn`t see your post......

but I did take your suggestion and I looked up railroad vine..

I don`t think that is what I have . The leaves on mine are elongated

It is raining now, but ( thanks to Lisa) I would be more than happy to post more pictures.

I have spent quite some time trying to find this on the web also. The shape of the leaves are so different.

D`Ann

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes Anna , post away LOL!

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

I wish I knew what it was, I got it from Kat orginally. It isn't an annual so I don't think it is a morning glory and as D'Ann said it doesn't make seeds. It grows and blooms nearly all year, it doesn't go deciduous for the winter, at least not here. It roots readily, but doesn't grow out of control. At least not yet. lol I've had it a couple of years now

• manature
    15 years ago

Railroad vine does have a pinky-purple bloom, but the flowers are normal morning glory size, and the leaves are fleshy, almost. Totally unlike other morning glory leaves. I'm still searching around, but I haven't found anything that looks like yours yet.

Thanks for the offer on the cuttings. I'm not in a hurry, since I can't even get outside, so feel free to share with others now. I can bug you for a cutting another time, perhaps.

Marcia

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    15 years ago

Take a look at the picture in the link below. Could this be your plant?. The "nubs" of the flowers in your photo look like the same structures in the link picture.

June

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea microdactyla

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is it !

Thanks, June Roses

But mine didnt get hurt by the cold.

Cool plant!

• annafl
    15 years ago

Very cool, June! Hey, amazing this plant is a south Florida native and it is so little known. Just when I think I'm recognizing most things, here comes something else. Learn something new here every day.

Anna

• cindeea
    15 years ago

D'ann, if you EVER get any seeds, honey, remember me! That is one stunning beauty!

• jupiterplants
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anna , I am with you on this one.

I grew up a tomboy running around in the woods .I am certain I would have remembered this outstanding plant.

It appears to be a vine with some self control. Which is great !

I just looked at the only two books I have on Florida natives. And I didn`t see it.

A Gardeners Guide to Florida's Native Plants by Rufino Osorio

Florida's Butterfly Gardening by marc and Maria Minno

I may have overlooked it tho...........

It is a keeper anyways :)

Cideea I will get one rooted for you.
    D`Ann

• manature
    15 years ago

I KNEW someone would find this! VERY pretty and very interesting. Totally a new one for me, though I'm familiar with several native morning glories. SO pretty! When I get my yard underway again, I will definitely come begging, D'Ann.

Thanks for the link, JR!

Marcia