SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

What have you learned lately?

greedygh0st
13 years ago

I want to ask you to rate your Hoya abilities, but I figured everyone would be super modest, so let's see what happens in a poll! If you see someone's voted "veteran" that's probably me, because I'm that good. ^_~

Poll: What is your Hoya rank?

My feeling is that we develop our rank through a million tiny daily observations. Most of the time we don't know for sure what a change means, so instead of knowledge, we have hunches. The accumulation of these hunches eventually leads to us getting so awesome that we no longer kill our plants.

I thought it would be fun to see if you'd humor me and tell me what hunches/observations you've had this week. Even if they seem insignificant or are clearly things everyone else has already figured out.

So far this week I've learned:

[1] Don't keep the water reservoir for cuttings in perlite full at all times. Let it dry out periodically for a couple of days.

[2] latifolia var concolor doesn't like being super super moist and hot during rooting. Of course, its leaves are so thick, you won't notice this right away.

[3] This time of year, cuttings in hydro w/no bottom heat root as fast as cuttings w/bottom heat in perlite.

[4] Once pusilla has dried out, it is almost impossible to get it to plump up and stay plumped up, even resorting to drastic measures like (A) repotting to coir and keeping moist and (B) soaking its branches. Maybe I should try (C) Joni's old-thread tip to just set the pot in a tub of water and let it guzzle for a day or so until it perks up?

[5] Of the moist loving Hoyas, the eriostemmas will get annoyed first if left TOO moist.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022