SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camotimm

Canning Hungarian Wax Peppers - Soggy

camotimm
15 years ago

A few days ago I canned peppers from my garden. This was my first time canning and first time gardening. I used a boiling water method recipe I found in the Ball Blue Book of canning. I tried the peppers a couple of days after the canning and they were soggy. Should they be soggy after a boiling water bath?

I had some peppers a friend of mine made last year, and they were crisp, so I called him last night and asked for the recipe and told him what I did. He said my peppers were soggy because of the boiling water method, basically cooking the pepper once they are in the jar.

His method works because he has been doing it for at least 20 years with no problems, however with all the reading I've been doing it doesn't seem like something anyone approves of because it doesn't use boiling water or pressure. With what he does you just put the cut up raw peppers in a hot jar, pour very hot liquid (vinager/water/salt) over the peppers, put on hot lids, and close them up. As the liquid cools the jars seal and stay that way shelf stable.

I am just wondering why he has been able to do this for so long without problems, yet I haven't found a published article that seems to promote this method of canning. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

Comments (16)