SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

H. 'Mascouten' = 'Green Summer Fragrance'

User
11 years ago

This is one that came up early this year. It arrived late last fall, around mid-October, tired but promising after a long hot summer. It came from Wade Gatton.

Actually, I mention it here because I believe its story could be in the AHS Journal column about "names." I do not have the information required to tell its life story but this is what I gather it would include.

It began as 'Green Summer Fragrance' which sported from 'Summer Fragrance.' So--FRAGRANT FAMILY. GSF was not registered, so I guess that allows the namer the right to change it, and so it became one of the Native American tribes honored by Van Wade. (I'm waiting for Cherokee to make it out of TC, that's MY tribe.)

You won't find Mascouten in Hosta Library. You will find Green Summer Fragrance. You will also find GSF in MyHostas.be data base with this information:

"If you look hard, you can see a ghost-like creamy margin, which on its parent has a prominent creamy white margin. Heavy fragrance. Long seed capsules, only moderately fertile. Grows best in full sun.
Now known as H. 'Mascouten'. Nice, all green, healthy leaves are 7-10" long x 4-5" wide. Sport of H. 'Summer Fragrance'. Large flowers with heavy fragrance are medium purple in color. Long fertile pods. "

Anyway, I got it and this is what it looked like earlier this month.
I'm thinking it would be helpful if someone has a plant which went through a name change, how about starting a thread to call attention to it? Something like Ani Machi = Geisha perhaps?

Thanks guys.

Comments (4)