SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wmpeebles

Looking for fragrance & color

wmpeebles
12 years ago

Hello all, I'm fairly new to GardenWeb and somewhat new to gardening considering this is only my 4th year doing so. But I've acquired a lot of knowledge of growing roses along the way and my garden just keeps getting better year after year. Something I want to do this year is to grow roses with lots of fragrance, good repeat blooming qualities, and are somewhat dark colored in appearance. I made up a list of roses from Rogue Valley Roses that I think would fit what I'm looking for, but I have no experience growing these roses so I would appreciate some feedback on my choices from people who are growing them.

Baronne Prevost

Conrad Ferdinand Meyer

Mister Lincoln

Pierre Notting

Mme. Isaac Pereire

Deuil de Dr. Reynaud

Souvenir du President Lincoln

Souvenir du Dr. Jamain

Siren's Keep

Louis Van Houtte

From what I've heard of Bourbon roses, and especially of Conrad Ferdinand Meyer, the disease resistance of those roses is paltry and they are very susceptible to black spot and other fungal diseases. Since I live in a humid climate, black spot is prevalent and I do a moderate amount of fungicide spraying year-round, but I was wondering if those roses would still be manageable if constantly sprayed with fungicide. I would pay anything for a fragrant rose (well not anything).

If there's anything on my list that seems it wouldn't be worth my while, I'd love to hear your feedback and any suggestions for alternative roses you have to offer!

-Will

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022