SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sundrops_gw

Costoluto Genovese cleaning-GRRRRRR!

12 years ago

Well, I read on this forum that Costolutive Genovese was the absolute best tomato for sauce. So, I have 10 plants that are full of tomatoes just waiting to be canned.

What a pain to skin! I started yesterday and became disgusted very quickly. They are neat tomatoes and are very tasty but I have found a couple of things that are tempting me to pull up all 10 plants!

Number one, they become blemished and will rot very easily. I'm talking about going bad within a day or so just sitting on the counter in the house. Because I work full time it is sometimes difficult to can them the very day I pick. I try to save them by bringing them in the house on the cool counter but they don't seem to last like other tomatoes.

Number two, they are so wrinkled on the bottom it is almost impossible to clean and skin them. For those unfamiliar, look up a google image of them. It seemed as though I lost at least 30% of the tomato once I had them cleaned.

I am not convinced they are going to be worth the effort. Is there anyone out there that can help me feel better about this? For those who use them, is there a better way?

HELP

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022