SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildworldwoman

North side of 2-story house - what to plant

wildworldwoman
15 years ago

OK, here's my first question for you amazing people:

The front of the 2-story house faces north. On the east side of the property line are old oaks, and on the west side, as well, so IN THE SUMMER the morning sun is limited, then the area gets baked for quite a few hours, then is protected from hot afternoon sun. But in the WINTER, when the sun is low, anything within the shadow of the 2-story house gets NO sun for months. To further complicate the situation, there is a large arbor over the front door... about 10 feet long, 6 feet deep, and as high as the ceiling of the first floor, that we'd love to plant some sort of vine on.

We had to remove some huge, old birds of paradise from the front of the house...it broke my heart, but they were planted right up against the house foundation, and since the old house needed to be jacked up and leveled, anything that close had to be removed so the workers could get under the house with the jacks.

My SIL loves blooming plants, and so do I, but we realize that up close to the house on this north side, we may not be able to get anything to bloom.

Any and all suggestions deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Namaste!

Langley

OMG, did I mention how good it is to be back? (-:

Comments (8)