SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
korney19

Pressure canner disaster! Convert to BWB?

korney19
16 years ago

I was making Annie's Salsa and as I was putting the lid on the Presto pressure canner, I must have knocked the rubber relief valve off--nowhere to be found! So I immediately tried adding hot water and brought it up to a boil to try to BWB it. I think I was successful--I did it for 20 minutes, removed the jars, and all sealed/pinged.

Concerns:

When I made the recipe, I brought the pot up to temp til bubbling (boiling) at least 10 minutes and I had my jars with some water in, in the pressure canner first. Emptied the hot water from the jars & filled the jars w/salsa to about 1/8-1/4" below the bottom threads. The recipe called for 8 cups of tomatoes... somehow I had enough batch to make 8 pints! I know for sure I only had 2.5c onions and 1.5c peppers, plus 3-4 jalapenos, but used 16oz of sauce and, at first, 12oz of paste... but added another 6oz of paste near the end before bringing to boil. Total sugar was about 1/4 cup.

As for vinegar, I somehow used a half cup white vinegar and ALMOST a half cup cider vinegar... (maybe 3oz?) that's probably why I added the last 6oz of paste. So I may be an ounce or Tbs less than the recommended cup.

Seeing I BWB'd for 20 minutes after boiling instead of 15, plus "almost" enough vinegar, plus more tomato paste/sauce/tomatoes than the original recipe (higher ratio acid to low-acid, the onions & peppers didn't increase, just the vinegar & tomato products), and the lids all sealed, would this be OK/safe?

I may have found a local hardware store that has the popoff valve... if so, would you start over? how? Can I just heat the full jars somehow, (in the microwave/oven/canner), wait the 10 minutes for the steam to vent, then do the 30 minute pressure canning?

Do I insert the sealed jars or have to open them & use new lids? Wouldn't pressure canning pressurize them to avoid this?

Do I have to empty them back into a pot and start from scratch?

I used new jars because the kitchen water pressure is very low and it's tough washing the jars with a trickle, & no dishwasher.

If time matters, I finished BWB around 9pm Sunday, still within 24 hrs.

Thanks for any comments/help.

Mark

P.S. If it matters, they were mostly heirloom tomatoes, and just 1 bell pepper, the rest were a mix of hot peppers to make 1.5 cups, plus the 3 or 4 jalapenos.

Comments (19)