SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mexicostacy

Rank beginner butterfly garden success

mexicostacy
14 years ago

Basically, I'm posting for all those folks out there like me who don't know what the heck they're doing and rely on a couple of books and GW to slap together a garden in the few hours of spare time they have on the weekend.

Using a flier I got from Lukas Nursery in Oviedo, a free "Waterwise" book from the St. John's Water Mgmt district, and GardenWeb I have created a butterfly garden that, after 18-months of work, has provided me butterflies and caterpillars of gulf fritillaries, zebra longwings, and monarchs. I've got tons of longwings all day long! I also have two giant swallowtail visitors several times a day. Occasional eastern tiger swallowtail, and I think palamedes swallowtail (black and bright blue). Plus one of the small yellow guys (a suphur?).

It's a joy to sit on my porch and watch, and a great nature lesson for my two-year old. AND, I work full-time and travel frequently for work. If I can do it, anyone can!

So, thanks to all for their advice (usually in the form of posts I read 10-months after they were posted), I'm totally hooked to butterfly gardening.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting