SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minuteb

Veggie Tomato Sauce advice

minuteb
10 years ago

Hi all,

This is my second year canning and I'm trying to find a similar recipe to my summer veggie tomato sauce. I would love to can my own recipe, but have been reviewing all your wonderful advice here and should probably continue to freeze it. Although I don't have a lot of freezer space since we've downsized into a small home with smaller appliances!

I purchased an AA pressure canner and a good pH meter with controls this year (I'm a lapsed engineer so these things appeal to my sensibilities). I appreciate that pH testing is not a straight forward exercise as well. And I haven't gotten everything precisely measured in my recipe, but would like to develop this further.

So here it is. Have any of you seen something like this? It's so delicious, I was ever so hopeful to be able to pressure can it, but don't want to risk making anyone sick!

9lbs mixed roma tomatoes roasted with about 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 head of garlic cloves, salt and pepper, and 8 sprigs fresh oregano. After roasting, remove the skins and most of the seeds. Squeeze 1/2 the garlic cloves out of skins to include in the sauce; save the rest for bread for lunch!

3 medium coarsely chopped onions
2 small japanese eggplants chopped
1 large zucchini chopped
2 medium summer squash chopped
1 red cubanell pepper chopped
2 small green peppers chopped
2 cups red wine
2 Tbsp maple syrup
Bouquet Garni of fresh oregano, basil, thyme wrapped and hung in the pot while cooking down
1 tsp each dried oregano, basil, and thyme

Saute all the chopped vegetables in 2 Tbsp olive oil until just tender.

Add the roasted tomato and garlic to the pan
Cook for about 10 minutes until well mixed.

Add the wine, maple syrup and hang the bouquet garni in the pot. Add some salt to taste.

Cook at a slow simmer for about an hour until sauce is reduced to your liking. Remove the bouquet garni.

Blend with immersion blender, add dried herbs, then simmer for another 1/2 hour.

Serve on your favorite pasta.

Comments (11)