SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apapjim

Growing tomatos in soil v. containers

apapjim
13 years ago

I'm an amature tomato grower. No, change that. I'm an unsuccessful amature tomato grower. I think that will change that since I have found this forum where people who have figured it out are willing to share what they have learned along the way. I'm really looking forward to next spring!

With that disclaimer I would like to share what I learned in this year's failure in case there are any people like me on the forum who don't alredy know what I learned this year.

I grew (or attempted to grow) tomatos two different ways this year. My primary crop was in the ground. I read somewhere on the web that to get rid of nematodes you had to roto till to a depth of 18", cover with plastic for a month---and then do it all over again. I did that--except even my fairly big rorotiller will only go 9". I shoveled the rest!

I grew Giant Belgiums and Solar Sets from seed. On March 1 I planted five healthy seeedlings of each variety in the ground and one of each variety in a container. I had not yet discovered the forum so my container mix was also amaturish, consisting of black dirt from a nursery and perlite. When I was picking up a bag of Black Kow which I rototilled into the soil I also picked up two Beefsteak plants. One went in the ground, one in a container.

Results: From the 11 plants in the ground I got 2 tomatoes-- from one of the Solor Sets.

The Solar Set in the container produced a half dozen tomatoes.

The Giant Belgium in the container produced 1 tomato.

The Beefsteak in the container produced about three pounds of tomatoes.

The best lesson came from examining the roots of the two beefsteak plants:

{{gwi:929808}}
By null at 2010-08-15

The above is the Beefsteak in the ground.

{{gwi:929811}}
By null at 2010-08-15

This is the Beefsteak in the container.

As, you can see, despite what I consider extrodinary efforts to combat nematodes they feasted on the plant in the ground.

There are other thing I cannot explain, such as why the Giant Belgium and Solar Set in the containers didn't produce much, but I can say definatively that I am through fighting over turf with nematodes. Next year will be all containers--and not my amaturish mix-- but Al's 5-1-1.

Many thnks to those who have helped me so far. I will probably be bugging you in the furure. I hope this post helps contribute to the cause.

Papa Jim

Comments (15)