SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19774863

Perplexing Pectin results

User
15 years ago

(Warning: a bit long)

Hi Folks,

Over the past few weeks IÂve had some wild fluctuations in pectin setting times.

A week or so ago I posted a thread regarding roasting garlic for jellies. In the subsequent discussion I also asked why some recipes call for boiling jellies after pectin is added while some others donÂt. Annie commented that the Habanero Gold recipe was the only one she used that didnÂt call for boiling after adding pectin. Prairie Love also noted that other recipes from the Habanero Gold source (person) did not call for boiling after.

Ah ha! I thought, my problems with jellies not settling consistently must be related to the not boiling.

I got lazy and did not re-process the Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper jelly after it had not set overnight. Placed it on the counter and it did not firm up until 3 days later with garlic on bottom and red peppers on top (I was planning on inverting jars to evenly distribute contents but missed the optimum point for doing it).

This past weekend I made four batches (12 jars total) of the Zesty Red Onion jelly from the no boil after adding pectin source. I did not double or quadruple the recipe but did cook up two single batches at the same time in two different pots. Remembering my previous Ah ha moment, I boiled the first two batches for one minute after adding the pectin.

Two batches ended up filling seven jars. After one minute of boiling, I filled the first 3.5 jars. Moving quickly, I filled the remaining 3 jars and topped up the last half of the previously filled jar. It was when the two different batches did not mix in the seventh jar that I noticed the first half had already set before I topped it up! By the time I got the jars into the boiling water bath canner for processing they had all set. No chance to evenly distribute contents. Also, after processing I noticed little air bubbles throughout the jelly.

Ah ha number 2! The source for a specific bunch of recipes does not boil after adding pectin because doing so causes it the set fast and you canÂt invert to mix contents!

On to the second batch of two batches at a time in two pots. The only differences this time were that I used Bernardin pectin in one pot and Certo in the other and neither were boiled one minute after adding the pectin. Again, both batches resulted in enough for seven jars AND both set almost immediately. Again, little air bubbles through out after BWB processing and no ability to invert to distribute contents.

At this point two "Ah ha!" moments equal one confused canner???

Has anyone else experienced almost instant pectin setting?

Bill

Comments (10)