SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Disappointed in Kosher Dills

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I tried the "Heinz" kosher dill recipe, using pickling cukes from the store (later batches using slicing cukes from my garden). After 18 days, I opened a jar just now and the flavor wasn't quite as pronounced as the fridge pickles I made using same batch of solution, same measures of spices in the jar, and my slicing cukes. They were also softer, though not completely mushy.

Now I'm worried that the jars I processed with the slicing cukes will be awful. Was it the processing that softened them, or the long unrefrigerated storage? I have 1 more jar from this batch (only processed 2 jars, stuck the other in the fridge and at it long ago). Unfortunately, I also have 4 more jars of the slicing cuke batch in the basement. Should I stick them in the fridge now (not much room)? Open and eat them within 2 weeks for texture, though the flavor needs to be kicked up?

I had some leftover "juice" (incl. spices) from the last batch of fridge dills I just made the other day, I just took the canned pickles out of the pint and added them to that PB jar, topped off with the "canned" solution. I hope they develop more flavor, though I'm not sure if the cold will crisp them at all. I *think* I had soaked the pickling cukes in ice water, don't remember. I have done that with all the slicing cukes (except for the one I cut up to fill the last jar of the last batch of B&B fridge pickles).

Comments (8)