SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcskye

Canning Guacamole?

bcskye
16 years ago

Could this guacamole recipe (from a May 2006 Gardenweb forum) be canned?

GUACAMOLE

2 Hass avocados

Half of a small onion

2 cloves garlic

Salt, kosher or sea salt if possible (large crystals)

1 plum tomato, finely chopped

About 2 T fresh cilantro, finely chopped

Juice of half a lime

½ to 1 whole jalapeno, finely chopped

Chop the onion finely and let soak in cold water about 10 minutes. In the meantime, finely chop the garlic and then combine with the salt on cutting board. Using the back of a large knife, mash the garlic into the salt crystals until the whole thing is soft and pastey with some garlic chunks remaining. Drain the onion bits well. Add the garlic/salt mixure to the onion bits and combine well. Cut the avocados in half lengthwise down to the pit. Twist the halves to open them up. Remove pit with a sharp knife. Cut the avocado flesh with a sharp knife while still in the skin. Make 3 or 4 cuts in one direction down to the skin. Repeat in the other direction to make a grid of cuts in the flesh. Using a spoon, dig the cubes of flesh out from the skin and add to onion/garlic/salt mixture. Add lime juice and stir all ingredients together well. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and then into quarters. Remove all the soft flesh and seeds with a sharp knife, leaving only the firm rind and skin. Chop finely and add to mixture. Chop the fresh cilantro (leaves only) and toss into mixture. Chop the jalapeno and add that. Stir all together well. Can be served immediately at room temperature or chilled a bit.

Leave it chunky...don't put through food processor. Sorry if the explanations are too lengthy...I gave this to my dad who has zero cooking experience.

If not, does anyone have a recipe for it that you could can? I've always loved it and recently started eating Ortega's guacamole which is canned in a glass jar. Like it too much for the price so would like to be able to can my own if possible.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm