SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Bon Appetit Pickled Corn recipe safe??

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I didn't think so, and I emailed them to tell them that. It's been over a week and I haven't heard back, it's still up on their website.

My concerns are 1) 3/4C of acid to 3/4C of water seems low considering the vegetables' pH. NCHFP and Ball Corn Relish recipes use more acid.

2) Definitely not OK to top off with water if needed to cover, since 1:1 ratio is iffy to begin with

3) I am assuming this is for canning though no processing instructions are given, since the recipe says "Seal. Let cool" (though then it says "chill") and the author begins the article by stating (in print, not online) something like she wants to "preserve summer's flavors".

At the very least if it is to be kept refrigerated, they should clarify that. I swear the magazine said "Will keep 1 month unopened", but I saw it in dentist's' office so can't check, online doesn't say "unopened". Even if kept refrigerated, by "sealing" (lid with silicone or rubber) and then chilling, a weak vacuum will be pulled. Am I wrong, or could botulism toxin grow under those conditions? I think "Cool, cap and refrigerate for up to 1 month" would be safer?

If I'm wrong, please let me know, but if I have cause to be concerned, please email Bon Appetit and let them know. Maybe if enough people (esp those with MFP credentials) email them, they'll print a correction?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bon Appetit August 2013 Pickled Corn recipe

Comments (3)