SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pat_w

Banana Pepper Rings and other newbie questions

pat_w
13 years ago

IÂm still waiting for login info for the NCHFP online course. In the meantime I have some questions and I hope you all can be patient with me. In the past IÂve put up strawberry preserves and banana jam successfully. Now I want to branch out a little more with BWB canning.

We have well water so IÂm assuming our water is quite hard. We have a PUR 3 stage filter on the faucet so that we can filter water for drinking. Do you think the water through the filter would be OK for canning or should I be buying distilled water for use in recipes? We also have spring water on a dispenser that I could use if thatÂs more appropriate.

I have a couple of sweet banana pepper plants that are doing quite well. I would like to put up some banana pepper rings (DH and DD like them on sandwiches) but I wonÂt be getting pounds of them at a time to be able to do a whole batch. I picked 10 peppers this morning and think that sliced up they might give me enough to fill a pint jar, maybe 2. I personally would rather slice these up and saute with onions for a nice sausage sandwich but itÂs not on the menu this week and I donÂt want the peppers to go bad.

There is a recipe for Hot Peppers on page 56 of the most current BBBook. Can I safely cut this recipe and just BWB 1 pint jar? IE: 2 cups white vinegar, 2/3 cup water and 1 clove garlic. I looked through some old posts and it seems you can use any peppers in this recipe and donÂt necessarily need to use any hot peppers.

IÂm not even sure thatÂs an appropriate recipe to use for the type of pepper slices IÂm trying to make so if it doesnÂt make sense to use this recipe please let me know.

Thanks for your help!!!

PW

Comments (13)