SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Made Roasted Tomato-Garlic Sauce (not canned),

pqtex
13 years ago

I was impressed with the ease of making the Katie C recipe for Roasted Tomato-Garlic Soup, which I canned.

Using the same procedure in the Roasted tomato-garlic soup, I improvised a spaghetti sauce (cooking recipe, not canning) and roasted the tomatoes in the oven, with the garlic, onions, and carrots. After cooking and removing the tomato skins, I put the whole shebang in a big pot on the stove. I added some browned ground meat and sauteed green peppers (next time I'll add them in the oven, too) and simmered it a while. I left everything kind of chunky and served it over pasta. I swear this is absolutely the best spaghetti sauce I have ever tasted, and my family has been raving over it.

I'm busy with my pear crop now, and I have a whole lot of end-of-season tomatoes that I am not going to can. To use up the rest of my tomatoes, I have four pans of tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and peppers in the oven now. I plan on freezing the sauce.

Roasting the tomatoes and veggies in the oven is a great time saver because I can be doing something else while they are roasting, plus it's a great technique that really cuts down on simmering time; and it gives a great flavor to the dish.

I would have never thought of doing the tomatoes this way if I had not read about it here.

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips you provide!

Jill

Comments (3)