SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherribaby_gw

What day of Linda Lou's Sweet Pickles are YOU on??

sherribaby
17 years ago

Just wanted to see how many of us are making them right now. I started mine yesterday so I am on day 2.

2 questions -

Does it matter what kind of container they are sitting in for the first days of just boiling water?? Mine are in a stainless bowl. Should I switch to glass?

I saw that someone said to trim the blossom end when cutting the chunks before putting into the syrup. Is that correct?

Good luck with the pickles everyone!

Comments (51)

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I believe that in any pckle recipe your supposed to cut both end tips off. Its not only for the bacteria issue but to reduce a bitter tasting pickle which can result from a stem that retains bitter flavor.

• sherribaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, I probably didn't word that correctly. My question was - is it ok to wait until that stage where you are cutting the cukes into chunks to cut off that blossom end? I know I would never can pickles with it still there because of the enzyme that it contains, I just didn't know if it made any difference in the process if it is cut off when you are doing the rest of your cutting.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

This is Linda Lou herself.. LOL. I wait until I put them in the syrup before cutting of each end. I don't want the sitting in the water with the ends cut off.
    Stainless steel is fine. I use my big blue water bath canner for keeping them in. I always cover them up with the lid, but let the water cool down before putting the lid on.
    My husband put the lid on while it was hot, and he scaled the peels off. They were like paper in the jars ! Yuck !
    No way was I going to throw them in the trash.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Well, here in Michigan I'm still on the day where I go out into the garden and don't find any cucumbers big enough to pick yet.

Maybe next week...

Annie

• sherribaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm in upstate NY and almost nothing else is ready yet but my cukes are doing really well. Them and the squash. Everything else is so waterlogged and trying to pop out with every disease known to man :(

But pickles I will have :) I also did some PYO blueberries and got a bunch of jam canned. I froze some for when I get the ambition to do a blueberry pie or two. I think I would like to do a pancake syrup too.

Well, back out to pull the bad leaves off of my tomato plants. Day 3 of the pickles for me.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Cutting off both end tips off the cukes should be done prior to any fermenting, brining, pickling, or any other process including eating fresh. This is what I read in most all recipes including the mixes that are made by Ball and Mrs. Wages and others. There is an enzyme that greatly affects the taste and its very concentrated at the stem ends, so it can affect the taste of the whole cuke even before they get into a fermentation, boiling, brining, pickling, or any other means of preserving or eating.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Ken, when we have tried cutting off the ends when making these sweet pickles, they shrivel up and get ruined....
    they are not a fermented kind of pickle.
    Normally you do cut off the ends, but I have to wait until they go into the syrup or they don't turn out.
    We just are sure to wash each cucumber thoroughly and especially the blossom end.
    Then, we cut off both ends as we cut up into the chunks before they go into the syrup.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I get you.. As to my cukes that are in a salt brine as a half sour, I do cut both ends off. I guess if its in a sweet syrup and is soaked in water beforehand, it would probably not affect them much. I recall a recent post saying they had a bad jar of pickles, and the only thing I could think of that would cause that would be a few cukes that were very bitter to begin with. I had a couple of these last year and boy, they really spoiled a whole jar of sweet mixed! Love that crinkle cutter.. For color, I add a few bits of sweet red peppers to my sweet pickles.

• sherribaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ken, I'm definitely cutting off the ends (Linda Lou does too) but just not until after soaking in water and before being put in the syrup.

• brenda55
    17 years ago

I am on the last day before canning.....yea. The hardest part I have found is to not walk by and take a sample! I already really like the flavor! I am trying to find Pickle Crisp, as they don't carry it at our ONLY grocery store, HEB, am going to Walmart. Any suggestions?

Brenda

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Brenda,
    That is what everyone says, they can't stay out of them ! Annie discovered the same thing at her house.
    I am glad they turned out. You can process them without the Pickle Crisp, but I do find the centers where the seeds are get more soft without it. If you put your jar of pickles in the fridge and get them cold before eating them, they are more crisp, too.
    I don't know where else to buy it except for online, but I know that won't work for you now.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

A bit expensive, but can last quite a while.. I bought a pound jar of PC at Bulk Foods. It should last me a few years, but because it soaks up moisture, I plan to put in into a Ball quart jar and put a vacuum seal on the lid using the Food Saver device. A 1 pound 14 ounce jar will totally fill a quart Ball jar and then some. The 4 ounces are the equiv of maybe 3-4 boxes of PC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulk Foods

• superatc
    17 years ago

Hello,

I am new here, and I love it!!! I can tomatoes and beans. I am attempting Linda Lou's sweet pickle recipe for the first time. I have a question. I am on day 2 (almost) of the syrup. I messed up and bought sweet pickle mix of Ball's, instead of putting together the spice bag. It was late at night and I didn't want to upset the recipe days, so I used the sweet pickle mix. I just boiled it in the syrup mix. I used your recipe that said 8 cups of sugar (instead of 7) and 4 cups vinegar (instead of 5). I added no extra salt, because salt is in the mix. I tasted one today (12 hours after the initial syrup stage) They are crispy but aren't as sweet as I thought. They almost have more of the vinegar taste instead of sweet. Do I add more sugar? Will this upset the brine? Do I just wait it out. I WILL be using the pickling spices like I should on my next batch. I have so many cucumbers, it is unreal. Thanks so much for your reply. Laura

• brenda55
    17 years ago

Linda Lou,

Thanks for the tip. I tried Wal-Mart for the pickle crisp to no avail. Will try calling a couple of the health food stores. Also, thanks for the really great recipe.

Brenda

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Laura, I don't think I'd mess with those pickles any more than you have. LOL I'd wait and make a new batch, using the recipe.

Frankly, I don't care for any of those "mixes" for pickles, salsa, spaghetti sauce, etc. It doesn't take much longer to add my own seasonings and they taste so much better and are so much cheaper.

Annie

• superatc
    17 years ago

Annie,

Thanks for your input. Your seasonings. Do you use one of the pickle spice recipes that was posted here? Which one? I like SWEET. Live and learn.....Off to pick more beans.....heat and rain = BEANS and CUCUMBERS.....LOL

Salsa....did I see a past post, where you put your recipe?

I think I'd like to try that as well. In fact, this forum has me really becoming the happy homemaker...Problem is, I start back to work this monday...I am an athletic trainer....Nevertheless, I am excited....thanks all...

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Laura, I would just leave them alone,too, at this point.
    I find the recipe to be plenty sweet ! After you open a jar after they are processed, if you want more sweet, then add a little sugar to the jar. It should dissolve in the brine.
    Try some with the pickling spices and see how you like them. I buy my pickling spices in bulk. I think that is what Annie is using, I mailed her some. At least I think I did... I know I mailed some to Rose, who used to be on here.
    I sure miss Rose !! Well, her son was in an awful bike crash a year or so ago. He has had several surgeries. Rose doesn't have time to post any more......

• superatc
    17 years ago

Annie,

Thanks for your input. Your seasonings. Do you use one of the pickle spice recipes that was posted here? Which one? I like SWEET. Live and learn.....Off to pick more beans.....heat and rain = BEANS and CUCUMBERS.....LOL

Salsa....did I see a past post, where you put your recipe?

I think I'd like to try that as well. In fact, this forum has me really becoming the happy homemaker...Problem is, I start back to work this monday...I am an athletic trainer....Nevertheless, I am excited....thanks all...

• superatc
    17 years ago

Linda Lou,

Thanks for the reply. Rose's son sounds like it could be a long haul. I am around physical therapy. Let's pray he is able to make a full recovery.

The spices....I noticed several recipes posted. Do I make my own, based on one of them, or do I buy the "pickling spices" as a whole, mentioned, as well?

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Buying the pickling spice mix isn't going to give you consistant results. A better way is to deal with the individual spices and mix up fresh batches. The pickling spice mixes I see have red hot peppers in them, as well as a lot of bay leaf. I prefer things like celery seeds, coriander and mustard seeds in Bread and Butters, while a sweet mixed uses the same ones as well as some clove, ginger, cinnamon, and allspice. You can experiment with differenat amounts of these to see what tastes best to you.

• superatc
    17 years ago

Thanks. My next batch will be done, CORRECTLY!!! I tasted them on 2-3 day of syrup....Sweet, now. Much better. Still, I have to it right. Laura

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Superatc, To see if your posted reply messages are here, you need to do a reload or refresh of the web page. In many cases after a posting, you will not see the post until you reload or refresh the page.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

superatc, I am currently using the blend sent to me by Linda Lou, she sent a BIG bag. LOL Usually I use the same brand all the time to stay with a consistent flavor, I like McCormick's and it's a good thing, it's the only one available here in my tiny town.

I have blended my own several times, but haven't gotten it quite right yet. I find the mixes too salty and they have that odd chemical flavor that I dislike.

Linda Lou, I think of Rose often. You know she was a local girl, and grew up about 15 miles from me here. I hope her son recovers completely but I know it's going to be a long haul, for him and for her.

Annie

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Oh, geez, I'm sorry. Here's the salsa recipe, with my compliments.

ANNIEÂS SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
    3 - 5 chopped jalapenos or to taste
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 cup vinegar
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, Process 15 minutes for pints and 20 minutes for quarts in a hot water bath.

You may increase the amount of hot peppers if you want more heat, but reduce the green pepper or onion by the same amount to retain the acidity of the recipe and keep it safe to can. You donÂt have to use jalapenos, you can use any hot pepper you have on hand. I like habaneros but they are VERY hot. Be careful.

The tomato sauce and paste are for consistency only, I like a salsa so thick it sits on my chip, you can leave it out but it is "runnier" without it.

Annie

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

I don't seem to have a problem with the pickling spices I get in the bulk food section at all. They are always the same, year after year. And cheap, too !
    I seal in a vacuum seal bag and keep them until they are used up.

Annie, I figured once you tried those pickles that you would need a LOT of it ! See, you like those pickles, and they turn out... I told you so, ha ha !

I know Rose's boy has had jaw surgery. It messed it up badly when he had the accident. Have not heard from her in quite a few months now. Such a tragic accident. She is a really sweet gal. Always stays positive, she never gives up.

• sherribaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello, all. I made a mistake yesterday. I have been keeping the pickles covered with aluminum foil and no pickle snatchers yet. There was such an air of disinterest that I decided to ask my DH to try one and see if they were ok.

Hmmmm. Therein lies my problem. He LOVED them. Now he keeps pulling back the foil and sneaking them!! He said that they leave a very good taste in your mouth and he's hooked. Looks like I will need to make another batch soon. This batch isn't even ready yet, not till tomorrow night.

Thanks, Linda Lou. I'll have to go get some PC and try that too. I've never used it before. These guys, despite 1/3 of them hollowing on me are very tasty and not shriveled or soft at all!

Here's to me keeping my hubby out of them till tomorrow :)

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Pickle Crisp is going to be hard to find right now, so look for the post I provided elsewhere if you want to buy it in bulk. I have already run out of the 5 boxes I had bought from last year. I decided that a big 1 pound 14 ounce jar of it would give me plenty of for at least his years pickling.

• sherribaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have it in our local Agway, thankfully.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Sherri,
    That is the response I find from nearly everyone about those pickles ! Glad you all like them.
    I especially like them with tuna.

Zucchini relish is another favorite pickled thing that I love ! May eat a tiny bit on a burger for dinner tonight. MMMM.

• helenore
    17 years ago

As of about 15 minutes ago, I am on day one! I can't wait to see what these legends are like.

• sherribaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My pickles came out very very crunchy! They are probably the crunchiest pickles I've ever eaten! Is that normal? They taste great, by the way :)

• andi_2006
    17 years ago

On day one! This recipe reminds me of my Grandmother's delicious sweet chunks. I will be canning on my patio as my new range is an electric smoothtop and I fear damage from BWB as per manufacturer's "Don'ts" in their instruction booklet. Normally I can in the winter but I couldn't resist the temptation for these pickles!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Linda Lou, I like them best sliced thinly and layered with mayo on a sandwich of homemade italian bread with a nice filet of walleye or perch. Yum, it's the next best thing to a fresh tomato sandwich.

Annie

• helenore
    17 years ago

Since I poured the boiling water over them at 11:00 p.m. can I ease back the time a couple hours each day (of the water stage) so I'm not eventually canning them at 3 in the morning?

NO, WAIT. I'm just going to do it. Not gonna ask, just going to think for myself! Huzzah!

... As long as it's OK with you guys ;-)

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

Helen and Andi_2006,
    Looks like you guys are going to be just hours ahead of me!
    I will be starting mine this evening when I get home.
    Anxious to hear Linda Lou's answer to the moving the time back a couple of hours each day as I'd like mine to finish early enough on the 12th to can in the morning.
    I'm also going to be cutting mine into spears rather than slices or chunks.....will report the results.
    I'd have to sneak about 9-10 hours out of the 9-10 days. Seems like it would be OK...Linda????
    Deanna

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Ok, I grant you all permission to move back the time on changing the water, LOL. Wouldn't want anyone falling asleep at the stove and ruining their valuable pickles. If they were yucky, then I would get a bad reputation, ha ha.

Sherribaby, Yes, they are that crunchy ! I use the Pickle Crisp to keep them like that all year long. My husband says they are TOO crunchy, but I don't agree. How can pickles be too crunchy ?? I am glad you like them, too.

I have never tried cutting them in spears. I suppose since they go into the syrup when you cut them, they should be OK.

Annie, I guess you have mastered Sweet Pickles now ! Yeah !!! This is your second year with them. I would like them on a fish sandwich, too. Well, I do like them best with tuna, so I guess that IS fish. My grandbaby likes them, too.

Helenore, you are in for a treat. You won't be able to keep out of them before they are canned.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Well, I'm only on my second year, so I'm not sure about "mastered". There's still time for me to screw them up. LOL

Annie

• helenore
    17 years ago

I just heard that wonderful ping from one of the jars.

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

I was wondering about Rose just the other day. I really miss her posts as well. She was so full of canning energy and humor. I remembered her because apples are becoming available here and i thought of her "pay dirt, I mean pay apples thread." I hope everything turns out for her and her son.

I am jealous of all the pickle making. Those pickles are fabulous on a fish sandwich. I don't have any so American spoon foods fish sauce filled in today. Maybe after we have totally move there will be some cukes at the farmers market. or I can just read about yours.

-Robin

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Helenore, there were some left to can ?? That is great.

Sorry, Robin, you are pickless in VT.

My husband is mad at me, LOL. I told him NO sweet pickle making this year. We all have plenty. He loves making them. I asked our daughter and my friend, and they both still have a stockpile. He said, yeh, but this new place we got the cucumbers from for the dill ones has small cucumbers and they would be better ! Oh, goodness, what am I to do ??

• helenore
    17 years ago

I canned all but the two or three chunks I tried along the way.

I brought one of the six jars to a baby shower today and they were very well received! I think I was told how good they were by everyone who tried them (several of the ladies told me more than once) and there was even one friend who said she doesn't normally like sweet pickles, but she liked these! So yeah hurray!

And now for the confession. I don't like sweet pickles. (At least I didn't.) I thought the recipe and the response to it would make me into a lover of them; and even if it didn't, my oldest brother likes sweet pickles, so I thought I would give several of the jars to him no matter what.

Now, as odd as this sounds, I was so distracted when I tasted them by not knowing if they were objectively good sweet pickles, I didn't realize they were growing on me. They have a definite charm and I would like to try them with some other ingredients. Before I officially ask for an idea, I will search a bit.

Tuna and mayo with chopped LLSPC on toast sounds pretty appealing right about now!

Thank Linda Lou for the recipe and the guidance. And the guidance. And the guidance...

Helen

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

I made a mistake.........
    Only making half a batch!!!
    These are wonderful. I will be making LOTS more!

I just started with 12 ('bout 4") cukes. After cutting them into spears, which worked just fine, BTW, I ended up with about 2 pints....well, 1 1/2 pints 'cuz I nibbled on some.
    I didn't even bother sealing them, just popped in the fridge 'cuz they'll be gone so fast it's not worth it!

They are really good rolled up with cream cheese in a slice of ham or turkey. I'll be taking some fixed this way to share with mom, DD and her fiance this weekend and will get more feedback!! DD is the sweet pickle lover in our family!
    Deanna (must make more....must make more.....must make more...)

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Hey, I should have charged for the recipe, ha ha. Maybe I could have made a few bucks..
    I know, everyone that makes these has the same response.
    We normally make at least a double batch at a time.
    Glad everyone is enjoying them so much !

• andi_2006
    17 years ago

I am now doubling the batch - I love to "taste test" these babies after 2 days in the syrup and found after making my first batch/first attempt that there was barely enough to can - the yield was minimal. Linda Lou, these are the closest sweet pickles to my DGM's recipe I have ever tasted - thank you for the recipe - brings back fond memories - Blue Ribbon, indeed!

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

I am glad everyone is so happy with their pickles !
    We do the same thing, we sample them the day after they go into the syrup.
    You should get about 6 pints of pickles.
    This is an old recipe, as my Momma and I canned them, too. She died 9 years ago. My husband enjoys making them so much, perhaps I should tell him to make them and give them for Christmas gifts. He just wants to make them so badly.

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

Your husband makes pickles too??? Does he can them?
    You ARE lucky!!
    I thought I was doing good getting mine to help snap beans and shuck corn.
    He's a mighty fine "Cleaner-Upper" though!!
    Deanna

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Yes, he makes pickles. He will can them if I don't.
    He LOVES blanching and peeling tomatoes. HE likes blanching and cutting the corn off the cob, too. He will help with really any canning except for peeling peaches. He can't stand the feel of peach fuzz. That is OK, he is a keeper.
    Sometimes he tells me to just sit down and let him do all the prep work, then I go in and pack the jars and get them in the canner. He takes them out when they are done and empties the water from the canner for me, since they are heavy.
    He cleans up the kitchen, too, a lot of times for me.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Linda Lou, you'd better hold on to that one!!

I'm starting my second half batch, I just picked them about 4 hours ago, and poured the boiling water over. I just can't seem to get enough cucumbers to make a whole batch, everyone in the family has been picking them.

Funny, it's my garden and no one helps pull weeds, etc., but they don't hesitate to pick the cucumbers.

Annie

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Annie, boy do I know he is a keeper ! Been married almost 33 years. We were babies !
    I wish I had a place to grow cucumbers. I love to eat the pickling ones better than slicers. At least there is a produce market less than 2 miles away from here.
    Your story sounds like "Henny Penny ", LOL !

• jessay3
    17 years ago

Wahhhhhh Wahhhhhhh!!!!!

I wish we were still getting cucumbers! I put up 12 quarts earlier this summer and only have 2 quarts left! Yes they are THAT good! I can't believe that's all I have left. I've been looking for pickling cucumbers at the farmers market and even in the grocery stores and nobody has them! All they have are the slicing cucumbers. You know, the ones with the dark green waxy skin. I've been very tempted to try to make pickles with these but I'm not sure how well it would work.

I know next year I will triple what I put up this year! My 5 year old son loves these pickles. He'll eat a half a jar a day if I let him. Wish I could blame him for all the pickles that I gone missing but.........I think I like them more than he does!

Enjoy your pickles everyone! I know I'm going easy with the last few jars I have.

Jessie

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert