SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
got_bullmastiff

I think I 'poisoned' myself

got_bullmastiff
14 years ago

After reading all the great bits about dehydrated watermelon, I thought I'd give it a try. I have an old Nesco dehydrator.. bottom of the line cheapo.. no temp control.

I anticipated a LONG time to dehydrate. I cut the slices to 1/2 inch wide. Put a lot of space between them and let the dehydrator run for 18 hours..

I kept checking on it.. and it seemed to be dehydrating just fine.. I tried a piece at about 3/4 of the way done after about 12 hours. After 18 hours I had to get to bed and didn't want to leave it running all night. (paranoia) So I took it all out of the dehydrator and put it in the fridge, intending to finish it up when I got home from work on Monday.

Monday afternoon.. SICK! omg.. sooooo sick.. I'll spare you the gory details but it's the only thing that I ate that no one else in the house ate.

Today, I'm fine.. and the watermelon is in the trash.

Do you think it was too long and slow of a dehydrator period? Or maybe my dehydrator got it just warm and moist enough to grow some nasties?

I'm curious if I should consider replaceing my dehydrator.. works great for scallions. Evidently not so great for high moisture fruit.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths