SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluejean_gw

Jamacian Relish Receipe?

bluejean
16 years ago

I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian Relish. It is a sweet relish I found served at a restaurant where I worked when I was a teen. I recenlt was "back home" visiting and stopped in. My old boss let me take a look at the ingredients and wished me luck in finding a receipe. Apparently she had inquired at a trade show and was told it was all top secret. It is made under the brand name "Monarch"

Ingredients in order: Sweet red pepper, High fructose corn syrup, vinegar, sweet green pepper, watermellon (She was told it is actually the rind- which I am inclinded to believe), sugar, dehydrated onion, water, modified food starch, salt, "spices", sodium benzoate.

It has a loose gelled consistancy- I had assumed it had pectin in it. But I guess the food starch is helping? I don't know. any thoughts, wisdom, suggestions, or moles inside the "Monarch" factory want to step forward and share?

I am desperate to get a receipe comperable to this. I mix it with pulled chicken, mayo, rasins and cashews and make a Chicken Salad many would just die for! (I actually stole the receipe from the restaurant but she doesn't care- she is like an 'Aunt" to me)

thanks for your help,

bluejean in ohio

Comments (12)