SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dm77

Worried about my precious mint plant :(

dm77
16 years ago

History: I never have nursed a plant before so I'm the most newbie person you can imagine when it comes to nursing and gardening. I'm an experimenting-type person and will experiment to learn since it's my best and favorite method of learning. I only recently started with few plants... help! LOL!

Short and to the point: My mint plant was brought from a supermarket in Belgium about one week ago, it came with a TINY compositable pot. Left it few days as it looked fine, but it started to wither/be droopy and didn't really grow. After doing some researches online, I decided to check if it's rootbounded, I had to break down that compositable pot since the root was getting into the pot itself too! I tried my best to not damage the root while I removed the pot one by one. At the bottom, the root was severely grown in the pot so I had to cut some roots to get it free. No major roots cut off though. I put it in a clay pot twice the size to the previous pot (I plan on repotting it again in few weeks in a much larger pot... I just don't have enough of supplies and pot to do it yet).

I was awkward at watering it at first so I was either overwatering it and underwatering it, but now I am learning the art of soil feeling and am developing a water schedule for it. Now, what I do is every morning I feel the soil, if it feels dry at top and a bit moisty when I push finger in, I water it throughly until the water starts coming out of the draining hole and I'll let it drain a while before I place it back on the plate (I read that soil should never be allowed to dry completely especially with mint), if it still feels moist and cool, then I don't water it. I do same in the evening (most of the time, I don't need to water it, but I'm watching it carefully due to it being not happy).

It is sitting by south-ish window (only have access to north and south windows) to get some sun. The weather here is very mild (I live between Belgium and Netherlands)... A LOT of rain so it gets a lot of partial shade too.

Two biggest branches were very droopy so I cut them off and made my mint tea (very delicious! Yummy! That's the reason why I got the plant, I had this tea at Amsterdam resturant and I fell in love with it! I knew I had to have it! Haha!) and now I notice that it is starting to grow more rapidly, but the leaves are still droopy (no it's never hot in here, like I said, the temp. here is pretty much mild). I also noticed that one stem was turning red/brown and was getting weird so I cut that off too. The rest of plant is healthy green... just droopy and doesn't look happy!

I did everything I could to ease it, but I'm afraid I might be either overcaring for it or that it's just experiencing a nasty transplanting shock. I thought it would recover pretty fast from it. Some leaves are starting to curl up, but some leaves are very good and healthy especially the top part.

I am already attempting to clone it in both water method and soil method. I'll let you know if I succeed. :P It's not a serious project, but an experimenting project (if I succeed, I plan on planting it in other pot so I have plenty to harvest from hehe).

Anyways, what I'm saying is.. I wanted to know if I did anything wrong that caused my precious sweet minty plant not to thrive as well as parlsey and other catcus plants that I have. In fact, they are thriving with very little care (I water parlsey way less and we got catcus intructions from the catcus growing place we got our catcuses from).

How can I get my precious mint plant to be happy again? Thanks for your help.. sorry about the lengthy post! ;)

Peace,

Dm7

Comments (2)