SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victrola_gw

Fig butter: safe for canning?

victrola
18 years ago

In another thread, Spacific posted a recipe for fig butter:

The fig butter turned out pretty well. After cooling, I just put into the fridge since for this batch I'll probably use it as a filling for a tart or shortbread. It came out really well, like a very fresh and less-sweet version of fig newton filling. As I have probably 50 lbs. worth of fresh figs that will be ripening over the next couple of weeks, I will definitely need to make larger batches and preserve the butter. I think it will be the perfect flavor for holiday baking.

Next batch I make, I will probably increase the sugar, zest and vanilla a bit as the green/yellow variety of figs I have are a bit on the bland side. If your figs are on the sweet side, the recipe will probably be just right.

FIG BUTTER

500g figs, stems removed

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup port

1 Tbs lemon juice

2 tsp grated orange zest

dash of vanilla extract

2 Tbs unsalted butter

Place the figs in a blender and blend to a pulp.

Cook fig pulp in a saucepan for 30 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon occasionally to prevent sticking.

Add sugar, port, juice, zest and vanilla and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and stir through butter. Spoon into sterilized jars and cap securely.

That recipe looks delicious. But is it safe for canning, or is it intended for imminent consumption (or freezing)? If I recall correctly, figs are one of the few fruits that are not high enough in acid to safely preserve in a boiling water bath. I wonder if the amount of port and lemon juice would be sufficient. Also, the addition of butter makes me suspicious.

Comments (38)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012