1/2 lb onion, sliced

1 cup diced sweet red pepper

2.5 cups sugar

1 TBLSP mustard seed

1 tsp. celery seed

4 tsp. canning salt

3 cups vinegar

1.25 cups water

It says for the limas "Shell lima beans. Combine beans, celery, onion and pepper in a large saucepot. Cover with boiling water, cook 8-10 minutes. Drain: keep hot."

OK, I'd like to use dried basil instead of celery seed, using the same amount, 1 tsp. I'm assuming that's OK?

Also, I don't quite get the lima bean thing. Does that mean fresh limas? I don't see those much in the store. Frozen yes. And I'd much rather use garbanzo or kidney beans, cooked. Would that be OK? I can't imagine they differ in composition terribly much from limas. And even with the limas, does that mean the green ones or the big white ones? All the recipe says are "lima beans." I know the white ones go by the name "butter beans" so I'm assuming it is the green ones. I really don't want to use those, and even if I did, I would probably use frozen ones or canned ones since I RARELY see fresh limas around, and even if I did see them, it is too early for them anyway.

Would kidneys be better than garbanzos? At least they have somewhat the same shape as limas.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer